McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: VirtualBox 4.1.14.77440

MRF71 said:
Now if I'm not using my VM, can my host machine still use the memory allocated for VB?

If you look at this thread this might help you a bit.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: VirtualBox 4.1.14.77440

22nd May 2012 - VirtualBox 4.1.16 is a maintenance release

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
RE: VirtualBox 4.1.16

I like Virtual Box because it's free and you don't have to register to the website. I hate it when companies do that.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Except every new update requires the user to download the complete package, this is one of the reason why I don't use VBox any more, as well as I no longer need this program.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011

@Earth: Same goes to VMware, :p and thanks for notifying us about the update. :)

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011

Earth said:
Except every new update requires the user to download the complete package, this is one of the reason why I don't use VBox any more, as well as I no longer need this program.

do you use any other alternative

D

Deleted member 178

samit said:
do you use any other alternative

Why do you use a Virtual Machine?
Testing another OS or AVs? ok you may need it
Testing Malwares? rather using a Rollback program (Returnil, Shadow Defender,etc...).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Anyone know if you can install VBox or others on Windows 8 RP (ie. is it supported)?

Thanks.

P

Plexx

Earth said:
Anyone know if you can install VBox or others on Windows 8 RP (ie. is it supported)?

Thanks.

As far as I know, VMWare Workstation 8 (8.0.3) supports Windows 8 RP, as well as latest version of Oracle VirtualBox.

Hope this helps

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012

biozfear said:
Earth said:

Thanks.

As far as I know, VMWare Workstation 8 (8.0.3) supports Windows 8 RP, as well as latest version of Oracle VirtualBox.

Hope this helps

I think he is asking if virtualbox or other programs can be installed in the windows 8 Operating System. Not vise versa.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Yes, can the Virtualisation software be installed in Windows 8 RP - I should have been clearer. :)

Because the Hyper-V in Windows 8 doesn't work for me.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011

I've forgotten to say about the Issue I had with Windows 8 CP and VBox. If you put the computer in sleep and resume it, wifi will not work until you restart. An uninstall helped me solve the problem. Let's see how it goes with Windows 8 RP.

P

Plexx

Earth said:
Yes, can the Virtualisation software be installed in Windows 8 RP - I should have been clearer. :)

Because the Hyper-V in Windows 8 doesn't work for me.

Oh my bad, I completely misunderstood the post.

My apologies.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
I've forgotten to say about the Issue I had with Windows 8 CP and VBox. If you put the computer in sleep and resume it, wifi will not work until you restart. An uninstall helped me solve the problem. Let's see how it goes with Windows 8 RP.

It may not be something specific to Win 8. Two VBox releases ago, I've started having an issue where restoring a VM from a snapshot sometimes kills network connectivity.

When this happens, I need to disable the network on the VM, reboot the machine, then re-enable the network. Simply disabling, then re-enabling the network doesn't fix the issue, nor does rebooting without disabling/re-enabling the network.

This can be a bit of a pain as the reason I snapshotted the machine was because I didn't want to shut it down...

This is using Win XP Pro, and like I say, the issue started cropping up two VBox updates ago. :(

It seems very similar to the issue you describe. Has your issue been an ongoing thing, or is it recent like mine?

MrHacker

Apr 9, 2012

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
:welcomewave:

More info & download: http://filehippo.com/download_virtualbox/

Changelog: http://filehippo.com/download_virtualbox/changelog/

VMware Workstation is better than virtual box

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

MrHacker said:
VMware Workstation is better than virtual box

If you have some specific information to add, then please do.

Unsubstantiated statements such as the one you posted don't add anything useful to the forum...

P

Plexx

Wasnt VirtualBox the one that allowed more Network cards compared to VMWare, as well as Intel VT-x and AMD-V virtualization? Don't quote me on that as I haven't use much of VB since I was stuck on getting Linux up and running.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

Somehow I still feel that Virtualbox is slightly slower than VMware under certain circumstances (win7 host and linux guest) but it is an excellent open source product.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

bogdan said:
Somehow I still feel that Virtualbox is slightly slower than VMware under certain circumstances (win7 host and linux guest) but it is an excellent open source product.

Yes, it does seem slower in certain instances, while in others, VBox seems quicker than VMWare.

For example, with my Win XP host, VBox will open snapshots quicker than VMWare.

I happen to like both for different reasons.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
VirtualBox - Version: 4.2.0 Beta 1

VirtualBox is a general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.

Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
  • Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
  • Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.

Download: VirtualBox 4.2.0 Beta 1 | 89.9 MB (Open Source)
View: VirtualBox Website | Release Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.