Virus or Virus damage?

Nigel

Thread author
Verified
Dec 15, 2012
I do not know whether I have a new virus, or whether the issues relate to damage caused by the original rootkit virus from last year.

Any idea what I should try next would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Attachments

• OTL.Txt
    81.1 KB · Views: 86
  • aswMBR.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 66

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi Nigel,

I don't think that is a result of a virus. When you try to install Microsoft Money, does it give you any error messages?

Nigel

Thread author
Verified
Dec 15, 2012
Hi Fiery

Many thanks for your reply.

When I run the original disc, it gets as far as the "I ACCEPT" prompt. I select that button, and there is no further response.

When I run the downloaded file "Money 2005-UK-QFE2", it gets one stage further. I select I ACCEPT, it changes to an installation page and then stops responding.

I do not know if there is any relevance, but I had been getting "AUTORUN.INF is missing or corrupt". On advice, I changed a value in the registry, and it started working again.

I still have the issue of not being able to shutdown the computer except by pushing the power button.

What do you reckon?

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
A quicker fix will be reformatting your PC. Backup all your important files and restore your PC to factory settings, the state in which you got your PC in.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.