VirusTotal Should be Your PC's Friend!

I

illumination

I use the Virus total Extension on my browser which gives me the right click context menu as well as VT uploader on my system to analyze any file or process.

I also have Hitman Pro with Virus Total API key.

Virus total is an excellent tool..

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
of course VT is your best friend after all it can users out by tell them if the files is good or bad or a fp

Last edited:
Reactions: Malware Security

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Got any proof of this :eek: ?

I'd like to see results from virustotal compared to the antivirus.
no
it happened to me not once that i had different result on a file and url. eset av show malicious but in virustotal eset show clean.

check it and see.

D

Deleted member 178

it is not my best friend , too many useless and poor engines, with many Fps from them; they should restrict the list too the most efficient ones.

Reactions: Kent

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I don't trust blindly anything & won't compromise my pc. In yt, i was watching a video of a avast employer in which he showed a friend of him sent him a url link via email & he checked it via virustotal & it shows as clean but when he click on that link avast detected & blocked the link. It was not a false positive by avast. i read a comment of a user & he posted that some malware sites have specific codes which detects if user using any malware scanning site ( ex: virustotal.com) to check it & will redirect it's url to safe one if not then malware scanner site will detect it.

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
@Koroke San I don't think there is much conspiracy in this. Basically, VT uses the same (or similar) method when you do a contextual scan with your AV to check uploaded files, so it only uses the signatures. Whereas when you actually run a file, every other module of your AV will step in to determine if that file is safe or not.

Edit: Got ninja'd by @Chromatinfish 123, haha. His reply is the same, just shorter. :p

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
@Koroke San I don't think there is much conspiracy in this. Basically, VT uses the same (or similar) method when you do a contextual scan with your AV to check uploaded files, so it only uses the signatures. Whereas when you actually run a file, every other module of your AV will step in to determine if that file is safe or not.

Edit: Got ninja'd by @Chromatinfish 123, haha. His reply is the same, just shorter. :p
I know that but anything can happen in this world hehehe

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
it is not my best friend , too many useless and poor engines, with many Fps from them; they should restrict the list too the most efficient ones.

Kaspersky, ESET, Bitdefender, Comodo, Avast, Avira, Malwarebytes (cause why not ?), etc.
Oh, and blacklist Avast! File Reputation from the results before every files gets detected for nothing.

Reactions: Malware1

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Kaspersky, ESET, Bitdefender, Comodo, Avast, Avira, Malwarebytes (cause why not ?), etc.
Oh, and blacklist Avast! File Reputation from the results before every files gets detected for nothing.
And also some crazy antivirus that very few people use (AhnLab)

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
AhnLab is great AV, I like it. Often detects samples missed by other AVs at VT (not FPs).

VirusTotal should remove eScan and Ad-Aware because they use Bitdefender engine. eScan's own engine is useless and Ad-Aware doesn't have one.
Whoops, I meant to say ad-Aware

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.