Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Vivaldi 1.0 Benchmark Tests from the web

Vivaldi 1.0 is now dominating the news these days.People are praising and writing reviews on this new browser, so I've decided to post 3 Benchmark tests found along the way.
1. Ghacks :
Code:
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/04/06/vivaldi-web-browser-review/

upload_2016-4-7_18-7-52.png

Hardware: not specified

2. Computerbild.de :
Code:
http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/cb-Tests-Software-Vivaldi-Browser-Download-Screenshots-14012791.html

upload_2016-4-7_18-9-17.png

The benchmark SunSpider , V8 and Octane check the speed in the preparation of JavaScript.
The Acid3 test analyzes the conformity to current web standards.
Peacekeeper (Pk) focuses on HTML5 elements.
In SunSpider, a low value (in seconds) is better. In V8, Octane, Peacekeeper and Acid3, a high value (in points / runs) is better.

Hardware : The test PC COMPUTER BILD: a notebook with an Intel Pentium T2390 (dual core at 1.86 GHz), 3 gigabytes of RAM and Windows 10 (32 bit).

3. Chip.de :
Code:
http://www.chip.de/artikel/Vivaldi-Browser-Test_76313444.html

upload_2016-4-7_18-16-16.png

Does not do well in comparison to the others in the JetStream test.

Hardware: not specified.

Vivaldi seems to be doing better in most of the benchmark tests provided along with the reviews. Of course, individual hardware matters.Users are also welcome to try on their own and post the results.You can also post any other benchmark tests you come across(with the source).:)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Tested it. It is a very clean and very fast browser. Not a huge fan of the UI though, which unfortunately is a deal breaker for me.
Dont see much difference in page rendering speed between stock chrome and vivaldi.
Extensions I run on Chrome (in fact now basically one and a half) work fine with Vivaldi but 2 issues I have (one is quality of life):
Bookmark syncing
The colours and lack of theme support.

Finally I compared having same extensions, 1 page opened and checking its CPU and RAM usage. Needless to say, Vivaldi is a bit heavier on both areas. Just a little bit.

Suppose it will take time for the browser to mature. Until then Chrome and IE as a fallback will remain active for me.

D

Deleted member 2913

I will test & see how it goes.

Overall its good but does have occasional glitches like sometimes page load takes time, not all extensions work, some features like translation, dont prompt to save password, flash, etc... missing compared to Chrome as Chrome is my main browser, etc...

But I will keep it installed And may be couple versions later will be my main browser.

As a Chrome user, the most annoying prob for me is "Open link in background tab".
I wish either the option was on top or the current top option work like Chrome.

Coffeeman

Level 3
Verified
Nov 24, 2012
It looks good foe me. I have almost all of them. Firefox being my main browser right now and Now I am testing Vivaldi. I don't worry about RAM because those 16GB seem like enough. I have Chrome installed but not using it anymore in the last months or so. Edge is there just for some tasks.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
At this stage Vivaldi is over rated.

This is because compared to more mature browsers it still falls short, including opera I may add.

Still believe Vivaldi should be in beta stages first before public release as issues will put users off and lets be honest first impressions matter.

Reactions: Alkajak and XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I will test & see how it goes.

Overall its good but does have occasional glitches like sometimes page load takes time, not all extensions work, some features like translation, dont prompt to save password, flash, etc... missing compared to Chrome as Chrome is my main browser, etc...

But I will keep it installed And may be couple versions later will be my main browser.

As a Chrome user, the most annoying prob for me is "Open link in background tab".
I wish either the option was on top or the current top option work like Chrome.
Thankfully, I don't need to enumerate the problems I encountered!
You hit the mark!

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Might just take it for a test drive, I love chrome but ever since the update to windows 10 it's been giving me memory issues even thought previously on windows 8.1 I could have a huge amount of tabs open and no issue there. Swapped to firefox and cyberfox for a little while but they aren't as fast and smooth as chrome was. From what I gather Vivaldi seems a little heavier than chrome but I think the memory bug might be directly linked to chrome

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I believe every new browser should be given a fair chance and obviously a lot of effort has gone into vivaldi..Sure it will not cater for everyone but pleasing everyone is an impossible task.

Its a case of YMMV.
I am sure as it matures it will gain following but at the present time we cannot give a fair assessment as its new.
Good luck to the vivaldi team .

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
I decided to install it again ( because norton FF and SBIE can't work together) . Since I use just 3 extensions , it is ok. Well I didn't like to have many processes like chrome , but now I accept it . The speed is also acceptable/good. First time I installed it ( always in XP) it seemd slow to open even the home page. Now it's ok, I don't know why.
I never did benchmark but I will google to find how to do

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Put it simply, Vivaldi is what Opera should have been today. Fast and highly customizable. It is like a modern-retro Opera browser, with functions like the early days of Opera combined with the Chromnium engine.Long time users of opera will understand what i'm talking about. I think in a few weeks and months with performance, security and stability enhancements and bug fixes, it will be an awesome browser. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.