Hot Take Vivaldi co-founder: Advertisers 'stole the internet from us'

Pixelman

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
Smartphones are everywhere, and they give us so much access. We can find information instantly, purchase products online for arrival mere hours later, and communicate over countless messaging services. It's a double-edged sword, though, and being able to do all of that online means that advertisers can learn your habits and track you.

That's where Vivaldi comes in. It's a browser with a short but storied history. It was founded by former Opera CEO and co-founder Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner and Tatsuki Tomita and launched in 2016 as a way to cater to technically-inclined users and those who may not have been fans of the switch from the Presto engine to Chromium in Operas. While Vivaldi also uses Chromium, heavy modifications are made to the browser. It features a lot of ways to customize your experience and, more importantly, a way to keep your browsing more private.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

The internet is not free. It is not open. And I don't think that it should be. At the same time I think ads are a systemic disease of the www.

People talk about "the internet is supposed to be open and free" as if it is some kind of entitlement without any costs. It is the same nonsense talk as "users should be able to use stuff" without consequence.

If the US wants free internet as an entitlement, then stop using taxpayer dollars to bail out banks and depositors, plus wasting hundreds of billions on useless social programs. Fix existing programs that benefit all Americans such as Medicaid and Social Security. Fix education. Stop giving millions to Patrice Cullors and other Marxist extremists.

Pixelman

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
The internet is not free.
I know I pay it monthly.
Pay Day Money GIF by Boomerang Official

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The internet is not free. It is not open. And I don't think that it should be. At the same time I think ads are a systemic disease of the www.

People talk about "the internet is supposed to be open and free" as if it is some kind of entitlement without any costs. It is the same nonsense talk as "users should be able to use stuff" without consequence.

If the US wants free internet as an entitlement, then stop using taxpayer dollars to bail out banks and depositors, plus wasting hundreds of billions on useless social programs. Fix existing programs that benefit all Americans such as Medicaid and Social Security. Fix education. Stop giving millions to Patrice Cullors and other Marxist extremists.
Response:
I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think the issue here is entitlement. Many people value the openness and accessibility of the internet, and it's important to discuss the impact of targeted advertising and data tracking on users' privacy and autonomy. It's possible to acknowledge the costs and limitations of maintaining a free and open internet while still advocating for greater protection and transparency around user data. What do you think could be done to address these concerns?
Source: @/Bot

Reactions: Pixelman
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Response:

Source: @/Bot

It's possible to acknowledge the costs and limitations of maintaining a free and open internet while still advocating for greater protection and transparency around user data.
I adhere to the notion put forth by Natalia Kaspersky - that all data belongs to the state. That way the state can put its claws into everything using AI and regulate privacy violations.

You cannot expect governments to create privacy and data laws and expect people and organizations to comply. Corporations like Google will keep violating GDPR all day long and take whatever fines they dish out and just keep abusing user data.

The whole online data and privacy debate from the userland-side is rather absurd already. Most peoples' valuable personal data has already been leaked. The real boogeymen are not corporations and governments, but cybercriminals.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.