Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinoku

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 11, 2015
Hi everyone!
I'm using vmware workstation 12.1 pro on my computer (i7 6700k 4GHz, 16gb RAM, nvidia 970) with Windows 10 pro latest build. (10.0.10586.71) 64bit as host OS.
When I try running Win 7 pro 64bit in a vm and enable Aero effects, dragging or minimizing windows becomes very slow and lags. With default windows 7 basic theme all works fine.
I think it's not a lack of resources, infact windows 7 guest performance index is 7 over 7.9.
It looks strange because on my old macbook pro using vmware fusion 8 pro that is A LOT less powerful it runs smoot as a charm!
Thanks in advance!

Skinoku

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 11, 2015
Of course, Vmware tools are propely installed, with 4gb of dedicated ram and 4 CPU threads!

I

illumination

Of course, Vmware tools are propely installed, with 4gb of dedicated ram and 4 CPU threads!
That guest should be flying and smooth. I'm assuming all updates are installed for W7 then? If so do you have another copy of W7 laying around to install another guest and try to reproduce the problem?

Reactions: Skinoku

Skinoku

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 11, 2015
Enable VT-x in UEFI/BIOS and tick vitualize all counters in VM Workstation.
Thank you @Vasudev!
Virtualization was already enabled in my UEFI bios, I just ticked "Enable VT-x" and "Virtualize counters" in the VM configuration panel under CPU options.
Almost all the lag disappeared!

Reactions: Vasudev

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Enable VT-x is usually disabled on mine, but I do not run W7 on VM, so couldnt help you there. Without VT-x ticked, 8.1 and 10 work fine hardly any lag. I did however modify the windows installations to near barebones, breaking a few in the process, etc. but that is beside the point.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Usually you need to double check the VMWare tools that pertains to provide acceleration and performance although not practical when its all about testing.

Reactions: Skinoku

scotland1

Sep 21, 2017
I had the same problem with HUGE lags when aero is active on Dell 7510 (1575 xeon, 64gb RAM, 2gb of m2.ssd) that I bought over $5000 (jan 2017). I have two video cards on board - Nvidia Quadro M2000M and Intell. I guess Dell have problem with laptops that contain two video cards and vmware doesn't support it properly.

Solution that helped me is very simple and fast - just downgrade from 12.x to 10.x hardware compatibility (VM->Manage->Change Hardware Compatibility).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.