Compare list
VoodooShield
SpyShelter

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Your way of searching for the best combo will be painful. I would make an image of my system and try one. SpyShelter Premium is a good HIPS and a good Anti-Keylogger. Live with it for a few days. Then restore your image and try Voodooshield, a good default-deny app. Choose one and keep your protection basic. More is not always best. With an antivirus, either one is enough.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 95367

Hi there, people!

I've been wondering if there are any overlaps to these 2 programs: VoodooShield and SpyShelter. Do they serve the same purpose or can they be used together?

Thanks a lot,
- Scirous.
The default deny is overlap. Which one works for you depends upon what you want. You want full control over your entire system to include runtime, updates, firewall, external devices, everything - SpyShelter. You want basic simple antiexecutable - Voodooshield.

Either way there is a learning curve. The learning curve is greater with SpyShelter because it covers so much more with many more settings. The SpyShelter logging is terrific. If you can master it, it will be all that you need.

Use what you like and you determine that you need, and then keep using it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scirious

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 22, 2022
I'm currently using both. I have licenses for both. I like the whole antispywere concept from Spyshelter. My main doubt is if there is any benefits from using them together. I mean, if Spyshelter offers all the protections VoodooShild offer, then I wouldn't need the latter. However, if VoodooShile offers some protection not covered by SpyShelter, then I could use both.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I'm currently using both. I have licenses for both. I like the whole antispywere concept from Spyshelter. My main doubt is if there is any benefits from using them together. I mean, if Spyshelter offers all the protections VoodooShild offer, then I wouldn't need the latter. However, if VoodooShile offers some protection not covered by SpyShelter, then I could use both.
Last year, I tried both for a week or two. I had the HIPS (system protection) disabled in Spyshelter Premium.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Hi there, people!

I've been wondering if there are any overlaps to these 2 programs: VoodooShield and SpyShelter. Do they serve the same purpose or can they be used together?

Thanks a lot,
- Scirous.
According to SpyShelter and using your template:
  • Core protection (malware and heuristic engine) - no signatures and no heuristic engine so can be used on even XP and others abandoned systems
  • Internet protection (web filtering, anti-phishing, anti-spam, browser extension) - no such protections at all but protects browsers against malicious addons
  • Proactive protection (anti-exploit, behavior blocker, IDS-HIPS, sandbox) - no classic sandbox but "restricted apps" option only, the rest of active protection for me the is the best complementary combo at present
  • Network protection (firewall, anti-botnet) - effective but full protection in Firewall version only
  • Ransomware protection - yes, if you want to dig in "file/folder protection" and "file/folder restrictions" features
  • Banking and payments protection - the best and the most complementary
  • Machine learning and A.I. capabilities - no such modules, SS even don't needs to be connected to the internet/dev servers.
    The philosophy of SpyShelter is to be an independent application that don't needs/demands to rely on data/decision from net environment.

F

ForgottenSeer 95367

Hi @Back3!

I'm using F-Secure. I was using GDATA Total Secure, but it caused some problems on my PC, so I switched back to F-Secure.
While SpyShelter can be used alongside F-Secure or other security soft, it is really meant to be a stand-alone solution. Conflicts between modules can occur, and then there is the issue of "double" alerts. The fundamental issue (advantage really) is that if you master SpyShelter, then there is no advantage to adding other security software.

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
This is what SpyShelter itself says about it: SpyShelter finds sophisticated threats against one’s personal data, which cannot be stopped by anti-virus and anti-spyware software. Anti-virus software relies on scanning files for malicious code, while SpyShelter focuses on detecting malicious actions. For full protection, install SpyShelter Premium or Firewall together with your anti-virus software. SpyShelter is very light, therefore you will not notice any increase of system resources.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Spyshelter and Voodooshield are not doing the same thing and do not have the same security philosophy. But it might slow your system down to use both, along with your antivirus program.

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
Using both SS & VS should have little or no impact on a contemporary computer. I use both, at times, on my aging laptop (vintage 2012) with no perceptive slow-down or conflicts. VS & SS offer very different types of security protection. Running them both constitutes *layered security*.

For any given attack, VS & SS might both catch it, or VS might catch it & not SS, or SS might catch it & not VS. THAT is exactly why someone might choose to use *layered security*.

IMO, only a higher-risk user would need to layer VS & SS. Most users will be just fine with nothing more than frequent imaging and a top-tier AV.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Currently I am not using VS and SS alongside each other on any device, but, I have done in the past on various setups and did not notice any obvious slowing down or conflicts.

Reactions: bellgamin

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.