VoodooShield discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
@danb
When you have time, after your break, remember to add self-protection. Some users were waiting for it. Thanks in advance

I don't really think it's needed. If VS can block all real world nasties whiy is it needed? But if you do it, please don't lock up the whole computer and force a reboot. Just have it protect VS itself. The first effort was a deal breaker for me.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I don't really think it's needed. If VS can block all real world nasties whiy is it needed? But if you do it, please don't lock up the whole computer and force a reboot. Just have it protect VS itself. The first effort was a deal breaker for me.
By now, there is just this known VS bypass. There may be other ones: this one is made by a killswitch

Andi.HR

Level 2
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
What a strange notification from Voodoo...

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 432
Reactions: CoherentCrayon

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
That wasn't a bypass. That was human stupidity. Kinda like shutting down VS and then complaining it didn't work. Security software can't protect against stupidity.
That is. The macro was able to kill VS process before it was intercepted

TMM
That was an older version of VS you were using. Have you tried your file using the new version? also why would anyone want to enable that in an XL file?
Dan said it's not fixed yet

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
That is. The macro was able to kill VS process before it was intercepted

I tested the macro. To bypass VS or anything you had to be stupid. First when you opened it in Excell you got the warning to turn on macros. That is the first big stupid. Then when I was given the spreadsheet, I was instructed the spreadsheet had to placed in a certain place.

This was an uncleverly designed POC and nothing you would encounter in the wild.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I tested the macro. To bypass VS or anything you had to be stupid. First when you opened it in Excell you got the warning to turn on macros. That is the first big stupid. Then when I was given the spreadsheet, I was instructed the spreadsheet had to placed in a certain place.

This was an uncleverly designed POC and nothing you would encounter in the wild.
Yeah but, in the end, there should be no trouble for us if he adds self-protection. It's just an other security feature

Andi.HR

Level 2
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
When 4.0 be finished and polished, I guess that Dan will have time to deal with self protection too!

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Alright Mr. B, lets get this party started ! lol
Seriously though, he has not come up for air for a while, man am I ready for v.4 to release.
I haven't decided yet but I will either run it beside Sophos Home Beta, or EmsiSoft, combined with
GlassWire, and VS v.4 that will be a solid combo.
Take your time Mr. B, but hurry up :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.