VoodooShield discussion

Discussion in 'VoodooShield' started by Evjl's Rain, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain Level 28
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 18, 2016
    Vietnam
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    they finally found the issue but it hasn't been fixed yet in v339. I just got a freeze
    I sent them the logs and dumps. it seems like they fixed a few simple bugs but freezing bug is still the same. I love this program

2. askmark

askmark Level 11

Aug 31, 2016
    united kingdom
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    That's disappointing as I've personally not had a single freeze since v338 when as before I was getting them almost daily.
    Hopefully Dan will be able to get to the root cause by analysing your logs and dumps.

Yash Khan, Logethica, frogboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain Level 28
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 18, 2016
    Vietnam
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    if this bug still persists I will be the first one who has it :) so far I just got only 1 freeze with v339

after 3 days of using v3.38, I got 5 freezes. Mostly after waking up my laptop from sleep mode (30 mins - 1hr in sleep mode). 1 of them was while using VS: installing a quite large application in autopilot mode. It was successfully installed but VS just froze completely

Yash Khan, Logethica and _CyberGhosT_ like this.
  4. askmark

askmark Level 11

Aug 31, 2016
    united kingdom
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    I notice the you have ZAM as an on demand scanner.
    I removed it from my laptop because I felt it was conflicting with VS. What concerned me was there were Zam.exe service processes running even though realtime protection was turned off. In my mind a standalone scanner should not have any active processes until its used.
    I changed to the portable version which only has active processes when it running.
    It maybe coincidence but the freezing stopped after making this change.

5. Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain Level 28
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 18, 2016
    Vietnam
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    I completely uninstalled zemana antilogger as it caused battery drain for my laptop using geek uninstaller. I also noticed ZAM service was still there but I got rid of it, now nothing related to zamana is running on my laptop except the portable version. I dont know why I still get freezing bug. perhaps because I use sleep function a lot

6. LabZero

LabZero Guest

The same here, no freezing under VM with Windows 10 no AU and no ZAM ( temporarily uninstalled).
    Same freezing problem on the host, Win 10 AU and ZAL Premium installed. So I removed ZAL, rebooted, and reinstalled VS 3.39 and no problem (for now).

7. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

It is the underlying service(s) that you see running in most cases. For a single example, when you disable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall via the GUI, their supporting services continue to run. To disable every component of a security soft will very often require modification of auto-starts via registry hacks, disabling of services or modification of file system start objects. In other words, there are multiple ways that disabling auto-starts can be achieved.

8. SHvFl

SHvFl Level 32
    Content Creator Trusted

Nov 19, 2014
    Supermodel for McDonald's
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    It's not updated because Dan is playing a guessing game trying to figure out the freeze issue giving new versions every few days. Hope he is a lucky dude but it doesn't seem to be the case.

9. askmark

askmark Level 11

Aug 31, 2016
    united kingdom
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
  10. Solarquest

Solarquest Moderator
    Staff Member AV Tester

Jul 22, 2014
    I have 3.38 now, zemana premium with realtime protection, Kis 2017, malwarebytes anti-exploit free, winpatrol free (my test pc)...luckily never had a freeze nor other issues, same before with voodooshield 3.10 and 3.30...no sleep option, I changed my power setting on msx performance, never sleep (hd).

11. askmark

askmark Level 11

Aug 31, 2016
    united kingdom
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
  12. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    I don't have freezing problem (maybe because it's a desktop?)
    but I do have all sorts of other problems.

Yash Khan and Logethica like this.
  13. askmark

askmark Level 11

Aug 31, 2016
    united kingdom
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    #13 askmark, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  14. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
  15. Wihat

Wihat Level 3

Jan 25, 2016
    Viet Nam
    Do i need this if I have KIS, ZAM pro?
    P/s: maybe i have to suggest a giveaway for this to try full features, right? :D

Yash Khan and Logethica like this.
  16. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    No you don't necessarily "need it" but for the sake of your PC you could add the free and see
    if it is something you would find handy to your Config.The full version is only 20 bucks ;)
    I myself build my Config around VS, its there, first and foremost

17. Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain Level 28
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 18, 2016
    Vietnam
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    the latest version is so problematic :( :( :(
    VoodooAi takes ages to process anything. I already posted a comment in wilders

Yash Khan, _CyberGhosT_ and Logethica like this.
  18. askmark

askmark Level 11

Aug 31, 2016
    united kingdom
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    #18 askmark, Sep 30, 2016
    Yeah tell me about it! You've got to admire Dan's tenacity though.

I'm not sure if it's related to the freeze issue, but yesterday I was getting several incidences where VS would not respond and cpu usage would ramp up. If I right clicked on the VS shield, Windows would report the process was not responding and I had no choice but to end Voodooshield.exe from Process Explorer. This behavior is different to the usual freezes, where normally it's just the context menu that's unresponsive (the context menu appears, but cannot be interacted with) but the protection and notifications continue to remain active.

I rebooted my laptop but VS was still sluggish so I decided to reinstall VS with a clean configuration. I removed everything from "C:\ProgramData\VoodooShield" except for settings3.dat (I didn't want to have to reinput my settings or account details) and installed the latest beta. After doing this, VS returned to it's normal responsive self (Hooray!!!) with no untoward delays in scanning.

Looks like the snapshots/whitelists may need to cleared out once and a while to maintain stability. Although this problem probably wouldn't exist if we weren't having to install so many betas over each other ;)

19. askmark

askmark Level 11

Aug 31, 2016
    united kingdom
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    Not sure if it will help or not but this worked to resolved the problems I was having...

Yash Khan, Solarquest and Logethica like this.
  20. Trickster

Trickster Level 14

Jul 28, 2016
    Loving / caring Husband :)
    Europe
    Windows 10
    BullGuard
    #20 Trickster, Sep 30, 2016
    no freezing issues here since upgrading to the latest beta :) but I will have see for a while if it stays this way. And this is with zal installed!!