Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
A good choice :) especially now the author has finally nailed the freeze issue and fixed a few other annoyances as well.
they finally found the issue but it hasn't been fixed yet in v339. I just got a freeze
I sent them the logs and dumps. it seems like they fixed a few simple bugs but freezing bug is still the same. I love this program

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
they finally found the issue but it hasn't been fixed yet in v339. I just got a freeze
I sent them the logs and dumps. it seems like they fixed a few simple bugs but freezing bug is still the same. I love this program
That's disappointing as I've personally not had a single freeze since v338 when as before I was getting them almost daily.
Hopefully Dan will be able to get to the root cause by analysing your logs and dumps.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
That's disappointing as I've personally not had a single freeze since v338 when as before I was getting them almost daily.
Hopefully Dan will be able to get to the root cause by analysing your logs and dumps.
if this bug still persists I will be the first one who has it :) so far I just got only 1 freeze with v339

after 3 days of using v3.38, I got 5 freezes. Mostly after waking up my laptop from sleep mode (30 mins - 1hr in sleep mode). 1 of them was while using VS: installing a quite large application in autopilot mode. It was successfully installed but VS just froze completely

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
if this bug still persists I will be the first one who has it :) so far I just got only 1 freeze with v339

after 3 days of using v3.38, I got 5 freezes. Mostly after waking up my laptop from sleep mode (30 mins - 1hr in sleep mode). 1 of them was while using VS: installing a quite large application in autopilot mode. It was successfully installed but VS just froze completely
I notice the you have ZAM as an on demand scanner.
I removed it from my laptop because I felt it was conflicting with VS. What concerned me was there were Zam.exe service processes running even though realtime protection was turned off. In my mind a standalone scanner should not have any active processes until its used.
I changed to the portable version which only has active processes when it running.
It maybe coincidence but the freezing stopped after making this change.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I removed it from my laptop because I felt it was conflicting with VS. What concerned me was there were Zam.exe service processes running even though realtime protection was turned off. In my mind a standalone scanner should not have any active processes until its used.
I changed to the portable version which only has active processes when it running.
I completely uninstalled zemana antilogger as it caused battery drain for my laptop using geek uninstaller. I also noticed ZAM service was still there but I got rid of it, now nothing related to zamana is running on my laptop except the portable version. I dont know why I still get freezing bug. perhaps because I use sleep function a lot

L

LabZero

The same here, no freezing under VM with Windows 10 no AU and no ZAM ( temporarily uninstalled).
Same freezing problem on the host, Win 10 AU and ZAL Premium installed. So I removed ZAL, rebooted, and reinstalled VS 3.39 and no problem (for now).

H

hjlbx

I completely uninstalled zemana antilogger as it caused battery drain for my laptop using geek uninstaller. I also noticed ZAM service was still there but I got rid of it, now nothing related to zamana is running on my laptop except the portable version. I dont know why I still get freezing bug. perhaps because I use sleep function a lot

It is the underlying service(s) that you see running in most cases. For a single example, when you disable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall via the GUI, their supporting services continue to run. To disable every component of a security soft will very often require modification of auto-starts via registry hacks, disabling of services or modification of file system start objects. In other words, there are multiple ways that disabling auto-starts can be achieved.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I have 3.38 now, zemana premium with realtime protection, Kis 2017, malwarebytes anti-exploit free, winpatrol free (my test pc)...luckily never had a freeze nor other issues, same before with voodooshield 3.10 and 3.30...no sleep option, I changed my power setting on msx performance, never sleep (hd).

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Do i need this if I have KIS, ZAM pro?
P/s: maybe i have to suggest a giveaway for this to try full features, right? :D
No you don't necessarily "need it" but for the sake of your PC you could add the free and see
if it is something you would find handy to your Config.The full version is only 20 bucks ;)
I myself build my Config around VS, its there, first and foremost

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
#####, I can't keep up with all these updates lol :p
Thanks Mark lol

Yeah tell me about it! You've got to admire Dan's tenacity though.

I'm not sure if it's related to the freeze issue, but yesterday I was getting several incidences where VS would not respond and cpu usage would ramp up. If I right clicked on the VS shield, Windows would report the process was not responding and I had no choice but to end Voodooshield.exe from Process Explorer. This behavior is different to the usual freezes, where normally it's just the context menu that's unresponsive (the context menu appears, but cannot be interacted with) but the protection and notifications continue to remain active.

I rebooted my laptop but VS was still sluggish so I decided to reinstall VS with a clean configuration. I removed everything from "C:\ProgramData\VoodooShield" except for settings3.dat (I didn't want to have to reinput my settings or account details) and installed the latest beta. After doing this, VS returned to it's normal responsive self (Hooray!!!) with no untoward delays in scanning.

Looks like the snapshots/whitelists may need to cleared out once and a while to maintain stability. Although this problem probably wouldn't exist if we weren't having to install so many betas over each other ;)

Last edited:

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
the latest version is so problematic :( :( :(
VoodooAi takes ages to process anything. I already posted a comment in wilders

Not sure if it will help or not but this worked to resolved the problems I was having...

I rebooted my laptop but VS was still sluggish so I decided to reinstall VS with a clean configuration. I removed everything from "C:\ProgramData\VoodooShield" except for settings3.dat (I didn't want to have to reinput my settings or account details) and installed the latest beta. After doing this, VS returned to it's normal responsive self (Hooray!!!) with no untoward delays in scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.