Voodooshield v5.0 - What does it mean when it displays the Desktop Shield as OnUSB?

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I installed VS v5.0 and so far so good. The Desktop Shield toggles On and Off when I use, and stop using, Chrome or Firefox.

Now suddenly, when I turned on my PC, and before I use Chrome or Firefox, the Desktop Shield appeared On with the letters USB underneath(see screenshot).

Does anyone know why? Btw, VS is running in Smart Mode, and I have it installed in Windows 10 v1809.

For the heck of it, I just downloaded and installed v5.01, and now the shield is Blue again, with just the word "On" while I am using Chrome.

So now I am more confused.

Snap 2019-06-24 at 00.49.26.png

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Voodooshield at default settings toggles ON when a USB device is inserted. So it sounds like you are seeing normal behavior.
When you open Chrome, VS will toggle ON even in the absence of a USB device. So the USB message disappears.
This is the way Voodooshield works in Smart mode (default settings): it toggles between higher and lower protection levels, depending on computer use. FYI OFF doesn't mean it's really off. It just means a lower protection level is applied, since the computer is not at high risk.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Voodooshield at default settings toggles ON when a USB device is inserted. So it sounds like you are seeing normal behavior.
When you open Chrome, VS will toggle ON even in the absence of a USB device. So the USB message disappears.
This is the way Voodooshield works in Smart mode (default settings): it toggles between higher and lower protection levels, depending on computer use. FYI OFF doesn't mean it's really off. It just means a lower protection level is applied, since the computer is not at high risk.
I have a wireless mouse connected via USB plus a printer, so VS reacts to these, too?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have a wireless mouse connected via USB plus a printer, so VS reacts to these, too?
I don't think it does. I have a wireless mouse, too, but it never seemed to make VS toggle on. Input devices look different to the computer than storage devices do.

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I normally use Always On or Smart, but I just checked and I have the same issues: Smart mode doesn't show as on and doesn't recognize USB. I did a clean re-install of v. 5.01 and issue remains. I've contacted Dan and already got a response.

Edit: I recommend Always On or Autopilot over Smart Mode regardless of this bug. Frankly, Smart mode is a PITA because VS gets turned off inadvertently when navigating a web page. I find this annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: shmu26 and stefanos

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I normally use Always On or Smart, but I just checked and I have the same issues: Smart mode doesn't show as on and doesn't recognize USB. I did a clean re-install of v. 5.01 and issue remains. I've contacted Dan and already got a response.

Edit: I recommend Always On or Autopilot over Smart Mode regardless of this bug. Frankly, Smart mode is a PITA because VS gets turned off inadvertently when navigating a web page. I find this annoying.
So what I described is a bug? What was Dan's response? Is the workaround to use Always On or autopilot?

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
So what I described is a bug? What was Dan's response? Is the workaround to use Always On or autopilot?

These are my recommendations for everyday use, but it's personal preference. He's looking into it. You were bug-free on v. 5.0? Correct?

@SearchLight - I advise emailing Dan via the website with the symptoms you observed.

Reactions: stefanos

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Smart mode doesn't show as on and doesn't recognize USB
Maybe I misunderstand, but it seems that you and @SearchLight have opposite issues. You say it doesn't show as on when it should, and @SearchLight says that it does show as on when it shouldn't.

My guess is that Voodooshield has a hard time determining whether a USB device is a storage device, which should cause ON, or an input device, which should not cause ON.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@shmu26 - if such is the case with @SearchLight then you are correct. I may have misunderstood OP or maybe he wasn't clear. In any case, Dan is on it. The more people reporting this and sending developer logs will give him the best insight in any case.

At least this issue doesn't seem to affect VS's basic functionality.

Reactions: shmu26 and stefanos

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
@shmu26 - if such is the case with @SearchLight then you are correct. I may have misunderstood OP or maybe he wasn't clear. In any case, Dan is on it. The more people reporting this and sending developer logs will give him the best insight in any case.

At least this issue doesn't seem to affect VS's basic functionality.
You are right basic functionality not affected. With 5.01 in Smart Mode just a blue shield with ON appears without word USB underneath it. Strange.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You are right basic functionality not affected. With 5.01 in Smart Mode just a blue shield with ON appears without word USB underneath it. Strange.

Please email Dan @ VS and include DeveloperLog.log from: C:\ProgramData\VoodooShield folder. The more he gets, the better. Thanks.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks. Btw, Dan emailed me that he is not too happy with VS USB detection, and will need to do some further research in order to improve the mechanism.
Proper USB detection is hard, because it needs to distinguish between various types of USB devices. That's how BADUSB works. It looks like a USB keyboard, but it's not.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.