Advice Request VoodooShield vs ReHIPS

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
VoodooShield. I prefer to allow what I want, not make rules for something that probably will never happen. That being said, see if you can get any good deals for VS. The developer offers some discounts to MalwareTips users. Conversely, ReHIPS is very expensive, and it does not seem like it's being updated with any sort of regularity.

Stronghold

Level 1
May 27, 2022
I once had a lifetime free subscription (which I lost) beta testing VS many broken PC's ago before I lost touch with the dev so my only experience is with older versions of VS.

Looking at what ReHIPS does it is a robust HIPS that doesn't do anything else while VS is a default deny AI scanner with looks ups, File Reputation and several other features that make for a user friendly easy to use extra layer of security. I don't know how it evolved over time but my money would be on VS being the better one but I haven't tested them both.

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think there is a free version of Rehips,Voodoshield free version is very good,

VOODOOSHIELD FREE HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED AS OF 5/5/2022!!!
WE WILL BE OFFERING A 50% VOODOOSHIELD PRO DISCOUNT FOR A LIMITED TIME.

Excuse the caps, but this is a quote from Voodooshield's website and it was a good incentive for me to buy a three years subscription, instead of waiting for my Comodo Internet Security to be over next September.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I once had a lifetime free subscription (which I lost) beta testing VS many broken PC's ago before I lost touch with the dev so my only experience is with older versions of VS.
If you at least remember the email address that was used with your VS account can't you use the "I forgot" my password option?
Password reset
For some reason I have an VS account (not sure if it was mandatory years ago).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
ReHIPS, judging by some of the posts here, is not very well understood. I served as a beta tester for several versions of ReHIPS, including the current one, and I can tell you that the primary feature of this software is isolation of vulnerable apps, such as browsers and Office suites. This feature is a little bit like Sandboxie but stronger.
It "also" has a strong HIPS component, but that is not the highlight of this software.
It is designed for advanced users.
ReHIPS has a demo version that may be used without time limit. However, it is hard to run multiprocess browsers in isolation with the demo version.
You may run the full version of ReHIPS for free in a virtual machine if you get the appropriate key from the forum.

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
I too have a preference for lifetime licenses when they are offered. However, in this case it's a lot of money and too much of a commitment to software that doesn't have a big footprint in its domain and its updates to date have been sparse.

Having said that, I don't have anything negative to say about the ReHIPS developer(s) who in my experience used to be responsive to my comments or queries.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.