Advice Request VPN for online Gaming?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Express VPN has this page advertising their features and claiming to reduce ping in online gaming:

"Shorter connection routes between you and gaming servers can lower latency and overall lag. This means packets of data are able to move between your computer and the game server faster, reducing any noticeable delay between your actions and what happens in the game—and giving you an advantage. Usually, connecting to the VPN server closest to the game server will give the best results."

Is this true, or just gimmick? I've always though that a VPN could only increase your ping.

Last edited:

Farhad24

Level 1
Mar 24, 2021
I use Freedome included in F-Secure TOTAL, my ping was like 10 more than the usual ping i get to EU servers of Dota 2 , that also was the case with Bitdefender VPN but not always
ff.PNG

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
As long as my ping is ok I wouldn't use it. (Why have to worry about trustworthiness of an VPN if it's not needed?)
I never had it in 20 years of gaming that my routing was so bad that I had to look for an VPN to fix it.

I think it can work if your default routing to the gaming servers is really bad and they have a closer server. But like I said I never had such problems...

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Something similar is Outfox by Goldenfrog, the developers of VyprVPN. This is what it says:

Unbenannt.PNG

I personally never tried such software and probably never will, cause it just sounds too good to be true.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
It does use 256-bit encryption...

I see that they are stating that it’s a real VPN but there are countless sources saying something else...

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Yeah I've seen that. But wasn't the big difference between Proxy and VPN, that the latter is encrypted?
It's not perfect privacy wise, but with these speeds it got really tempting.

I'm back to Opera GX, because I found out about the built in Music Player, with Spotify. It automatically pauses the music when you start watching media, like a YouTube video, and then resumes as soon as you stop watching. It's just too good. :ROFLMAO:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Yeah I've seen that. But wasn't the big difference between Proxy and VPN, that the latter is encrypted?
It's not perfect privacy wise, but with these speeds it got really tempting.

I'm back to Opera GX, because I found out about the built in Music Player, with Spotify. It automatically pauses the music when you start watching media, like a YouTube video, and then resumes as soon as you stop watching. It's just too good. :ROFLMAO:
Well, for me Opera is just misleading people and that’s another reason besides their privacy practices not to use it in my opinion. The faster speeds are simply because it doesn’t fully encrypt traffic like real VPNs. I think the only reason why people might want to use it is for unblocking geo restricted content. I mean it’s a nice idea to implement a VPN in a browser, but they should do it correctly... I love the OperaGX idea but there are just too many things that ain’t right about it for my taste. :cautious:

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Well, for me Opera is just misleading people and that’s another reason besides their privacy practices not to use it in my opinion. The faster speeds are simply because it doesn’t fully encrypt traffic like real VPNs. I think the only reason why people might want to use it is for unblocking geo restricted content. I mean it’s a nice idea to implement a VPN in a browser, but they should do it correctly... I love the OperaGX idea but there are just too many things that ain’t right about it for my taste. :cautious:
It also hides your real IP and location and avoids your ISP seeing all your traffic, so you could use it even when you don't just want to unlock geo restricted content.
Yeah it has many great and useful features.

Take a look at this thread: Opera Browser is owned by a Chinese company

And this one: Can Opera be fully Trusted

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I use ExpressVPN for occasional online gaming too, and the ping is nearly the same, hardly any noticeable difference. The ping is definitely not higher than normal. It's probably the fastest VPN in the world with the most number of servers available.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
I think I’d prefer my ISP seeing my traffic rather than Opera tbh... 😄
I don't.

But why using a VPN for gaming when it doesn’t increase speed? :unsure:
It can reduce your ping if you live really far from the server and/or you have a routing problem which your ISP won't fix.
Some games have servers where the owner can be just an average gamer, who can see your IP.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Right, I never have any issues as I’m always close to the available EU servers but for others that might be true. Sorry, didn’t think of that.
I'm not that lucky, but I also don't live too far away from the servers to have issues. That's why I only care for a free VPN for the browser only.

Reactions: Venustus and Kongo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.