Advice Request VPN for online Gaming?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I'm not that lucky, but I also don't live too far away from the servers to have issues. That's why I only care for a free VPN for the browser only.
Did you try redirection with DNS?
Use nslookup and ping from your ISP and with your VPN or just other DNS services like Quad9, Cloudflare.
Then make DNS based redirection with e.g. NextDNS.

I do the same with some image server as NextDNS "backend" use slower routing for me.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
But why using a VPN for gaming when it doesn’t increase speed? :unsure:
It reduces the ping when playing in other regions. You can check by pinging a game server in another country without using the VPN and repeat the ping test by using ExpressVPN.

Now if you are playing on a game server that's hosted outside your region, Express VPN reduces network congestion and provides shorter connection route between you and gaming server. For instance if you are playing a game hosted in an Asian server and you are from Japan, but the game server is in China, choosing China in VPN will help reduce latency and lag .

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
It reduces the ping when playing in other regions. You can check by pinging a game server in another country without using the VPN and repeat the ping test by using ExpressVPN.

Now if you are playing on a game server that's hosted outside your region, Express VPN reduces network congestion and shorter connection route between you and gaming server. For instance if you are playing a game hosted in an Asian server and you are from Japan, but the game server is in China, choosing China in VPN will help reduce latency and lag.
Does it actually work for you?

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Hello

I'm looking for a reliable VPN for gaming in Austria. I used PIA before, but it doesn't work well here. Saw on different VPN sites Das beste VPN Österreich 2021 , IP-Adresse aus Österreich: So funktioniert's (2021) – PrivacyTutor that they recommend nordvpn and express. Are these vpns really that good or are sites just getting money for their advertising?
Your best option would to try different VPNs, by purchasing just a month's subscription and see what speeds you get. Depending on your location you may get better or much worse speeds, then other people are getting with the same VPN.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
VPN for gaming imo is an oxymoron. I never saw it decreasing latency but only increase. Unless your ISP has really-2 bad routing all it will do is increase the latency, because you are increasing the hops for the connection. Few years ago I had issues where my ISP routing was so bad it was causing packet loss, so I had to use VPN but it increased the lag by like 20ms, so pick your poison. Instead of paying for VPN choose better ISP.

Alex Klein

Mar 5, 2020
Your best option would to try different VPNs, by purchasing just a month's subscription and see what speeds you get. Depending on your location you may get better or much worse speeds, then other people are getting with the same VPN.
Hello Roger,
Do you use a vpn? Maybe you can recommend something to your taste?
I would like to install a good vpn and not to change them, all the registrations to go through again....

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.