Advice Request VPNs, Encrypted DNS and AVs

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
I have used VPNs , Antivirus Programs, Encrypted DNS filtering services for quite a few years now and have noticed that among the 3, VPNs have issues quite frequently if you are aware and notice it. Whereas, the other 2 keep running smoothly most of the times without hiccups or needing any user actions. VPNs often have security flaws with updates, bugs and speed issues even if a reputed and one among the top 5 recommended VPN is being used. Is this the case with every user or just me??

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
no issues with Private Internet Access and Bitdefender VPN ( Hotspot Shield )
Running like a charm, like a deer on a sunny day.

Now using Bitdefender TS on my new laptop , no issues at all.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
As @L0ckJaw said, PIA is great. Used it for years. Had good luck with ExpressVPN, Mullvad, IVPN. I'm currently using Windscribe, since I have a lifetime license.

Choosing the right VPN will be greatly dependent on where you are geographically located. When I choose one, my favorite features are "Block local LAN" and "Built in AD DNS", along with a solid reputation with privacy and Wireguard protocol.

To answer your question, I guess everything has bugs and flaws, so not necessarily VPN specific. I never run VPNs on cellphones 24/7 (only as needed). Something like a desktop will usually stay connected 24/7, with no switching between WIFI connections, etc...reducing the chance of issues.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
As @L0ckJaw said, PIA is great. Used it for years. Had good luck with ExpressVPN, Mullvad, IVPN. I'm currently using Windscribe, since I have a lifetime license.

Choosing the right VPN will be greatly dependent on where you are geographically located. When I choose one, my favorite features are "Block local LAN" and "Built in AD DNS", along with a solid reputation with privacy and Wireguard protocol.

To answer your question, I guess everything has bugs and flaws, so not necessarily VPN specific. I never run VPNs on cellphones 24/7 (only as needed). Something like a desktop will usually stay connected 24/7, with no switching between WIFI connections, etc...reducing the chance of issues.

Hope this helps some.
My VPN is on 24/7 on Laptop/Phones/PC without any issues

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
no issues with Private Internet Access and Bitdefender VPN ( Hotspot Shield )
Running like a charm, like a deer on a sunny day.

Now using Bitdefender TS on my new laptop , no issues at all.
Do you keep your VPN on all the time? Or just at specific times? Are able to use streaming sites like Amazon prime video, Netflix etc with Bitdefender VPN?

Reactions: Nevi and Sorrento

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022

Hope this helps some.
Are able to use all streaming sites with PIA vpn? And any others that usually block VPNs?

Reactions: Nevi and Sorrento

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I keep Mullvad on just about all the time, they don't use virtual servers (at least here) so if I connect to their London or Manchester locations they really are in UK so have no issues with local news & no lag & get almost full speed, in excess of 800 mbit - I don't need to use a VPN for streaming (to spoof location) as just about all services are located in UK anyway - No problems overall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.