Advice Request VPNs that work with BBC iPlayer ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Does anyone know any VPNs that currently work with BBC iPlayer ?

Windscribe have a service called 'Winflix UK' which is supposed to enable iplayer access. But it doesn't work !

All other VPNs I have tried are also blocked.

Klettern

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2018
I personally use NordVPN and have zero issues. Most of the times it works and if servers get flagged by the BBC, I just contact the support to help and they give me a set of the working ones.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
VPN Unlimited is supposed to work
VPN Unlimited – Encrypted, Secure & Private online VPN service
VPN Unlimited Server Locations Map - Locate your server connection
1538538928275.png

TheMartin

Jun 11, 2019
For anyone still looking into VPNs and the BBC iPlayer (with the new season of Top Gear out and all ;)) it sounds like many VPNs should work, just not necessarily on the first try. I was googling for a solution after running into this problem and found this writeup: BBC iPlayer VPN Not Working? A Simple Workaround Can Unblock It (hope it’s OK to post a link to it… apologies if not). All you need to do if your VPN is being detected is disconnect and reconnect a few times to find a server IP that hasn’t yet been blocked.

The guy who wrote that is using CyberGhost. Can’t comment on it since I don’t use them, but connecting and reconnecting works pretty well for me with IBVPN so there’s definitely some truth to it. I’m assuming it should work with other VPNs too. Definitely worth trying before spending money on a new subscription though.

Reactions: upnorth

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
I recommend Smart DNS Proxy or KeepSolid SmartDNS - both work with iplayer, Netflix and most other UK channels, don't slow down your connection and are dirt cheap.

KeepSolid SmartDNS cost me $28 through Stacksocial with code DN30 for a lifetime license.
www.stacksocial.com/sales/keepsolid-smartdns-lifetime-subscription

Smart DNS Proxy (www.smartdnsproxy.com/) cost me about $35 for two years through a promo link I can't find at the moment.
It has slightly more features than KeepSolid and works for live BBC channels too.

Like the guy above said, VPN Unlimited also works for iPlayer. It's not as good a VPN as Windscribe, but you can get a lifetime license for pretty cheap.

But VPNs are too much hassle for streaming. If you use the YogaDNS app it's possible to configure your computer to use secure DNS (I use NextDNS) all the time except when you visit sites you want to stream from, at which point it switches to SmartDNS, although that does take a bit of work. More simply you can just use a program like NetSetMan to switch between DNS providers whenever you want.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.