WannaCry question about windows operation systems

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
thanks for the link
it could be very silly but doe make a difference using the pop3 or imap protocols in the email client?
i use thunderbird

Reactions: AtlBo and SHvFl

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Wasn't there a time when executables couldn't be sent as an attachment? Seems like that would at least slow down malicious software...

D

Deleted member 178

After reading the latest attacks like this one, i'm so satisfied about all the time spent to tweak my OS, my system is untouchable by classic attack like this, only a dedicated hacker may eventually breach it.

After reading the latest attacks like this one, i'm so satisfied about all the time spent to tweak my OS, my system is untouchable by classic attack like this, only a dedicated hacker may eventually breach it.

If you followed the online Win10 hardening guide, isn't disablement of SMB a part of that hardening guide ? I can't remember...

Also, disable ports 136-139 and 445 ?

Yes I have disabled it as it was recommended as a way to stop wannacry from spreading

@Umbra uses an online hardening guide that has been available online for many years - so it precedes all this WannaCry stuff by ages.

I am asking him if the SMB and port disables are a part of that ancient hardening guide.

Reactions: MalwareTracker
D

Deleted member 178

If you followed the online Windows 10 hardening guide, isn't disablement of SMB a part of that hardening guide ? I can't remember...
Also, disable ports 136-139 and 445 ?
only SMB is mentioned but File and Printer Sharing is disable via the adapter options.

only SMB is mentioned but File and Printer Sharing is disable via the adapter options.

@Umbra

So waaaayyyyyyyy before this whole WannaCry thing, you had already disabled all versions of SMB on your system(s) ?

Which, since you do not use SMB shares, it doesn't really matter - but the whole OS tweaking thing is a more important point that I am getting at.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

I know, but since there is no file & printing sharing allowed on the system, i won't care of their presence ;)

"kill the soldier, you won't need to worry of his weapon " :)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.