Watchdog Anti-Malware 4 released (based on Zemana)

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Version 4 of Zemana rebrand Watchdog Anti-Malware, has just been released. It has a new UI you can see a screenshot of if you open the link.
It is still based on Zemana, even though there appears to be no v4 of Zemana yet. I'm not sure how it compares to Zemana v3 for malware detection.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014

Harputlu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2016
Version 4 of Zemana rebrand Watchdog Anti-Malware, has just been released. It has a new UI you can see a screenshot of if you open the link.
It is still based on Zemana, even though there appears to be no v4 of Zemana yet. I'm not sure how it compares to Zemana v3 for malware detection.
I sent a message to the zemana. They said they would release a new version but could not give a date. I guess they just made visual changes(watchdog)

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I don't really think that MB has gone downhill, the last 2 or 3 tests I saw showed that their protection levels are improving from earlier tests and their detection rates are really high. (Taken with a grain of salt for those who don't believe in these tests ).

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
And where is the changelog?
Remember, these guys product is based on a licens from ZAM, if ZAM is not updated, well.

I can give out a program with a new number over and over and call it an update. Who can tell if it is true or not.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Well, I believe they are not relying on Zemana's technology anymore.
You can place the sniffer and you'll see that the connections of Scan Cloud are going towards their servers instead of Zemana's.
Also, you can test it out by running them alongside. In the past, their drivers used to collide.
Watchdog has been improving their product since last year, providing updates every now and then.
I cannot recall when was the last time Zemana made an update?

Improving?... you mean changed the look.
There is no changelog for the program and there is no tests that can confirm that improvement you are saying has occured. Even you yourself is requesting tests for the improvement you are saying has occured.

Do not get me wrong, i think positively about WD to but, this affinity for the program has to be proven in some way otherwise it is just an air castle.

The thought that it is the guys behind ZAM that is, now, behind WD has crossed my mind. A way to go from a stigmatized program to another with more positive image.

I had a conversation with Arman Tugsal from ZAM, recently about ZAL as to why it has not been update even though ZAM has. To cut it short, he stopped answering when i pointed out some vital points as to why ZAL should be updated if they have done so for ZAM. This whole ZAM business and their forks is... shady.

Last edited:

Watchdog

From Watchdog
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Oct 7, 2021
Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for the comments, because they lead me to join here. I work for Watchdog.dev and let me clarify a couple of things that I can see you've been discussed here:

Since 2020, Watchdog as a company has gone through some fundamental changes:
- decided to restart things and start from scratch
- ditched all of the products that were heavily relying on 3rd party sources
- assembled a team of professionals with experience in the field
- restarted the development process with a clear product roadmap for the future to come.

Our Watchdog Antimalware 4.0 despite the similarities with certain antimalware vendors is our in-house product. This is just the beginning of what our plans are. We would be happy to share more information when the time is right.

If you have any questions regarding Watchdog and our future plans, please send me a dm or write to me, I would be happy to reply.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Interesting... Means that I test it. :)
I wanted to compare it to Zemana, but if it's their engine, I'll do WatchDog by myself.

On the other hand, is it only a cloud database? No proactive protection or anything?

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi @Watchdog

I have some questions for you

1. Is your product a rebranded Version of Zemana

2. Can you add your Scan Engines to virustotal please

3. Which Languages did you have

4. And where can we found the Changelogs

5. And can you say what did you have for the Future

With best Regards
Mops21

Watchdog

From Watchdog
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Oct 7, 2021
Interesting... Means that I test it. :)
I wanted to compare it to Zemana, but if it's their engine, I'll do WatchDog by myself.

On the other hand, is it only a cloud database? No proactive protection or anything?
Feel free to do that please, and your feedback is more than welcome. In case you need a premium key, please do PM me and I'll hook you up.

Premium or licensed version includes real-time protection. We keep improving it day by day!

Watchdog

From Watchdog
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Oct 7, 2021
Hi @Watchdog

I have some questions for you

1. Is your product a rebranded Version of Zemana

2. Can you add your Scan Engines to virustotal please

3. Which Languages did you have

4. And where can we found the Changelogs

5. And can you say what did you have for the Future

With best Regards
Mops21

Hello @Mops21 ,

Thank you for your questions and please see the answers below:

1. As I explained in the 1st post, our old products were much dependent on 3rd party software. Since last year, we decided to restart the development process. We intentionally kept UI similarities to be consistent with the old products however Watchdog Antimalware 4.0 is not a white label.

2. Yes, we have a plan to place our own AV engine on VirusTotal. We don't want to spoil the surprise but we are working on releasing our own Anti-Virus solution. Currently, Watchdog Anti-Virus is in its alpha phase we plan to have it ready for "beta" testing in a couple of months, but that's another topic.

3. Currently available: Dutch, English, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish

4. We didn't implement Changelogs, in order to save time and to act fast we made a rudimentary product with 3 things in mind: work fast, light on resources, simple and effective. Our goal with WAM 4.0 is to win back the old users and to continue expanding into the market.

5. We don't want to jinx it but we have a simple product roadmap: Release a rudimentary AV > improvements > features and functionalities development > multi-platform > multi-modular > improvements, improvements, improvements! (We will need your help to make it happen and to make it better!)

Hope I was able to answer your questions,
✌️

Watchdog

From Watchdog
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Oct 7, 2021
Hello. I am also interested in the antimalware engine used. More details about it if possible. Thanks and best of luck with it.
Hey @dinosaur07 ,
Thank you for the question, I may not be the best person to answer it but I'll try to give the simplest explanation about this.
Please, don't bust my balls if it's not in too many technical details. I am not a technical person but I am getting to be aware of MT's importance for AM products. Atm, our developers are too busy with already mentioned development on WAV but I am confident they will be joining this conversation when the time is right:

Now back to AM engine. In the essence, we developed our own AV engine and we optimized it to be working in our Scan-Cloud. We do have the ability to add more engines in the cloud but we keep that as a secondary option in case of our engine failure. So far we didn't have to use other engines and we're still heavily relying on our own engine atm which forces us to work on constant improvements.

More on this topic will follow after the release of our Anti-Virus solution, and I'll make sure that answers on this topic are provided by someone from the development team.

P.S: PM me if I forget to make that happen!

Thanks in advance for understanding.
✌️

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.