App Review Watchdog Antivirus 2022 (Stable & Final Version)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Watchdog Antivirus test!
Watchdog is an American company, very unknown to the general public.
They have been publishing anti-malware for a long time and have now moved into antivirus software.
After a phase of BETA test (that we tested), the editor launched its final and stable version, I threw myself directly on it!

The interface does not change, it remains clear and less buggy than the BETA. On the other hand, shield anti-ransomware and the Content Control always absent...
But... Watchdog was extremely disappointing...
On the BETA phase I excused it, but here it is different because it is a STABLE version!

Seriously, where is the interceptor?! No detection of Watchdog! However all is joined together, it was has day, connected to Internet in optical fibre but not...
Another point which disappointed me, the scan which is awfully slow... I suspect him sending each unknown files to his servers... It would have been better if it only sent a hash for comparison (I pity the weak connections... )

And last point: I don't see the improvements made, I even have the impression that it's worse than the BETA. Because currently, that the analysis works. It is a pity because it has good ideas, but they are not exploited as they should.

Not at all recommendable, there is still a lot of effort and work to do unfortunately.

RAM Usage : Light
Malware URL test : 0/10 (All missed)
Fake crack : 0/1 (Not detected... The malware even managed to download and install other malware....)
Malware Pack : Remaining 41 files out of 143.
The detection rate is good on Worm/Virus and other threats.
Except that it is all... All Trojans, RATs, Botnets, Encoders etc. install themselves without any problem and seriously infect the computer...
Resistance to script attacks: No

Result :
Watchdog : 15
NPE : 73
KVRT : 91

Recommand : No
System Clean : No, system very infected - Some files are even encrypted! (presence of a TXT "Look at this instruction - Ransomware STOPCrypt)

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
If I was a Watchdog employee, I'd be embarrassed. To release this garbage as "stable" is insulting to the people who worked on it, let alone to the customers who paid money for it.
Don't call a product garbage just because it didn't do well in the test, ask questions or constructive criticism to the company, so they improve, don't forget that this is just a test, AV Test always said that Panda was the best antivirus in its tests , but in practice it was horrible :)

Harputlu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2016
Don't call a product garbage just because it didn't do well in the test, ask questions or constructive criticism to the company, so they improve, don't forget that this is just a test, AV Test always said that Panda was the best antivirus in its tests , but in practice it was horrible :)
Dude they sell the alpha product for $59. This is the reason for the reaction.

Watchdog

From Watchdog
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Oct 7, 2021
First of all @Shadowra thanks for testing, as always, we highly value your feedback, I'll ask you to send samples to me via PM so that I can hand them over to the team.

Again, we are aware of our flaws and know that there is much work to be done laying ahead of us. We do have a roadmap planned however we faced certain limitations and obstacles while we were forced to make the soft release of the product "as-is" because we have had certain deadlines for listings and etc.

As you are all probably aware we didn't do proper press-release and release campaigns as a certain software vendor would do in any normal circumstances since we are entirely aware that the product is far from perfect.
We like that we are present here and that you're providing us with your honest feedback and your opinions and we believe that the very essence of the existence of MalwareTips is exactly that - showing vendors from an end-user and cybersecurity enthusiasts' perspective what is wrong and where improvement must be made.

In the end, thank you all for your feedback. We truly appreciate it and we'll work on improving ourselves.

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
Oh please. First off, AV-Test is a pure garbage test site, so bringing THEM up to defend this garbage program is laughable. How about we NOT defend the company trying to scam customers into thinking they're buying a fully fledged AV product?

Again, we are aware of our flaws and know that there is much work to be done laying ahead of us. We do have a roadmap planned however we faced certain limitations and obstacles while we were forced to make the soft release of the product "as-is" because we have had certain deadlines for listings and etc.

Unacceptable PR bullshit. "We had deadlines!"

Toyota wouldn't release a car that didn't have wheels that fit. GE wouldn't release a refrigerator that couldn't get cold. Sony wouldn't release a TV that couldn't produce the color blue. Denon wouldn't release a stereo that could only power the left speaker.

If it doesn't work, you shouldn't release it. If it doesn't work, you don't charge money for it. Simple. As. That.

Edit: @Watchdog please explain why someone should pay for your services, as they're available TODAY, instead of going with something like Windows Defender, Bitdefender Free, even privacy nightmares like Avast or AVG. I'm curious to hear the answer.

I3rYcE

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 4, 2011
First of all @Shadowra thanks for testing, as always, we highly value your feedback, I'll ask you to send samples to me via PM so that I can hand them over to the team.

As you are all probably aware we didn't do proper press-release and release campaigns as a certain software vendor would do in any normal circumstances since we are entirely aware that the product is far from perfect.
We like that we are present here and that you're providing us with your honest feedback and your opinions and we believe that the very essence of the existence of MalwareTips is exactly that - showing vendors from an end-user and cybersecurity enthusiasts' perspective what is wrong and where improvement must be made.

In the end, thank you all for your feedback. We truly appreciate it and we'll work on improving ourselves.
My first and most important question. Do you think you are being cheeky with your pricing? Your first impression is below criticism.

lain

Level 1
Jul 12, 2022
Oh please. First off, AV-Test is a pure garbage test site, so bringing THEM up to defend this garbage program is laughable. How about we NOT defend the company trying to scam customers into thinking they're buying a fully fledged AV product?

Unacceptable PR bullshit. "We had deadlines!"

Toyota wouldn't release a car that didn't have wheels that fit. GE wouldn't release a refrigerator that couldn't get cold. Sony wouldn't release a TV that couldn't produce the color blue. Denon wouldn't release a stereo that could only power the left speaker.

If it doesn't work, you shouldn't release it. If it doesn't work, you don't charge money for it. Simple. As. That.

Edit: @Watchdog please explain why someone should pay for your services, as they're available TODAY, instead of going with something like Windows Defender, Bitdefender Free, even privacy nightmares like Avast or AVG. I'm curious to hear the answer.

>Edit: @Watchdog please explain why someone should pay for your services, as they're available TODAY, instead of going with something like Windows Defender, Bitdefender Free, even privacy nightmares like Avast or AVG. I'm curious to hear the answer.

Imagine paying for something that leaves your system vulnerable lmao.
Have a free arbitrary file create exploit.

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
This test was exceptionally bad, You really can't expect people to pay for software like this.. Although I will say when Malwarebytes first came out they too had some very bad tests , But watchdog seriously need to Major overhaul and again asking people to pay for it at this stage of its development just no.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.