Wave's Security Configuration

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Hi, this is my security configuration... I doubt it was what anyone was expecting, it's very minimal, and sometimes I have no real-time protection (disable WD if I want). I already know that I should add on-demand scanners and the such but I don't actually need them so it's fine

I only use what I actually need on my host, and do all malware-related work on another system or within a Virtual Environment (Virtual Machine). :)

Thanks for reading
Nice setup & thanks for sharing. I would recommend adding:

Real Time Protection:

- Zemana Anti-Logger

Extra Security:

- VoodooShield Free
- Avira Browser Safety Extension

These don't really cause any problems & are very good applications + the extension is brilliant for URL blocking. You say you don't need any demand scanners or real time protection but I would highly recommend that you use both of these. It's a little risky to be just using Windows Defender in my opinion & nothing else.

Saying you don't need real time protection to me is like you saying: "Why have traffic lights? It only causes traffic jams!" if you know what I mean...

W

Wave

Thread author
Saying you don't need real time protection to me is like you saying: "Why have traffic lights? It only causes traffic jams!" if you know what I mean...
I'd be more worried about the test malware I develop every week than anything out there. If you pay attention and watch closely on what you do then you can use no security at all and be protected.

Quick fact: I only enabled Windows Defender this month. Beforehand, I was using nothing except uBlock Origin on Google Chrome for about a year and a half, and I never got infected. There's a reason for this.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
I'd be more worried about the test malware I develop every week than anything out there. If you pay attention and watch closely on what you do then you can use no security at all and be protected.

Quick fact: I only enabled Windows Defender this month. Beforehand, I was using nothing except uBlock Origin on Google Chrome for about a year and a half, and I never got infected. There's a reason for this.
Very true but still be careful ;)

O

Omnipotent

Thread author
I'm going to be honest here, I too have switched to only using Windows Defender. I just don't see the need in wasting extra resources on security programs, if i'm already adopting good browsing habits. If i ever become victim to malware which is very unlikely then i would simply install an on-demand scanner or completely reformat my PC. I have nothing valuable to lose anyway, i only have programs/games installed on this PC. All my photos, music and documents are backed up on a 4GB USB. I've never paid for any security software, I've been using ESET for around 2 months just by reformatting my PC after the 30 day trial ends just to experiment with it. There is really is no need to pay for any security software, as @Wave said, educate yourself and you will never need to use anything. If you wan't to be on the safe side then keep your PC virtualized with Shadow Defender or Faronics Deep Freeze.

W

Wave

Thread author
install an on-demand scanner or completely reformat my PC
I agree with what you said in your post :) (the below isn't aimed at you, but just another post haha, saw the oppertunity to escape from under my rock and shine some light on some topics quickly):

I recommend to just reformat the PC and use an old, clean backup, since once your system is infected you'll never know if it's 100% clean or not even after scanning with every single scanner out there. For example, if you become infected with a rootkit which is brand new, how do you know it is really gone after using an on-demand scanner which detected some objects? You won't know unless you had previously analysed the sample to understand exactly how it worked and the changes it made.

As well as this, reformatting is a much better option than just reinstalling the OS, since malware can directly write to the HDD and cause it to come back after an OS reinstall (but this will not happen in the case of a complete reformat). That being said, some really rare malware may infect even the firmware (BIOS) to come back (for example), and then in this case you'd need to flash the BIOS... Or a hardware infection, replace the hardware components. Now tell me if Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will detect something like this? It won't.

Better be safe than sorry, just don't let the system become compromised and there won't be a problem. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.