Wave's Security Configuration

Discussion in 'SCW Archive' started by Wave, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Wave

Wave Guest

#1 Wave, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2016
    Most recent changes:
    Operating System:
    • Windows 10
    OS Edition:
    OS Architecture:
    User Access Control:
    Always Notfiy
    Windows Firewall
    OS File Reputation:
    • SmartScreen for Windows 10
    Type of User Account:
    Local Account
    Recent Malware Attacks:
    Testing AV's with Malware Samples:
    Inside a Virtual Machine
    Real-time Malware Protection:
    Windows Defender
    On-demand Scanners:
    Security Product Settings:
    Browsers and Extensions:
    Google Chrome - uBlock Origin, ZenMate VPN, AutoReplay for YouTube; Firefox (no extensions).
    Preferred Search Engine:
    Google or Bing are fine
    Password Manager:
    I remember them
    Frequently used System Utilities:
    Process Hacker; CCleaner;
    Frequency of System Image Backups:
    Manual / On-demand Backups
    System Image Backup Software:
    Paragon Backup & Recovery
    I only use what I actually need on my host, and do all malware-related work on another system or within a Virtual Environment (Virtual Machine). :)

Thanks for reading
    davisd, AtlBo, Andy Ful and 22 others like this.
  2. Nice setup & thanks for sharing. I would recommend adding:

Real Time Protection:

- Zemana Anti-Logger

Extra Security:

- VoodooShield Free
    - Avira Browser Safety Extension

These don't really cause any problems & are very good applications + the extension is brilliant for URL blocking. You say you don't need any demand scanners or real time protection but I would highly recommend that you use both of these. It's a little risky to be just using Windows Defender in my opinion & nothing else.

Saying you don't need real time protection to me is like you saying: "Why have traffic lights? It only causes traffic jams!" if you know what I mean...
  3. JM Security

JM Security Level 28

Apr 12, 2015
    SecureMyBit Developer
    Great configuration @Wave , maybe just add ZAM Free as on-demand scanner.

With this setup, you are surely protected ;)

Thanks for sharing it!
  4. Wave

Wave Guest

I'd be more worried about the test malware I develop every week than anything out there. If you pay attention and watch closely on what you do then you can use no security at all and be protected.

Quick fact: I only enabled Windows Defender this month. Beforehand, I was using nothing except uBlock Origin on Google Chrome for about a year and a half, and I never got infected. There's a reason for this.
  5. BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Doctor of medicine
    Windows 10
    Solid configuration, similar as mine :cool:
  6. Wave

Wave Guest

I love your config as well, I just checked it and left a Like haha :)
  7. Dirk41

Dirk41 Level 16

Mar 17, 2016
    Windows 10
    Actually I expected so ( well not the lack of on demand scan) because malwares should fear you XD

Maybe registry tweaks ?
  8. Wave

Wave Guest

None. ;)
  9. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    I like light config.
    And you know better.
  10. Wave

Wave Guest

And you know better than me. :)
  11. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 21

Sep 18, 2016
    Windows 10
    Nice Configuration,but you really should add those on demand scanners:D
  12. Very true but still be careful ;)
  13. In2an3_PpG

In2an3_PpG Level 12

Nov 15, 2016
    IT Jr. Network Admin
    United States
    Windows 10
    Thanks for sharing!! :)
  14. frogboy

frogboy Level 61

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    Looks semi decent. HaHaHa!!! No really a good config as i would have suspected. ;):)

thanks for sharing with us. :)
  15. shmu26

shmu26 Level 57

Jul 3, 2015
    Windows 10
    Finally, someone lives according to the truth: if you are careful, you don't need security software.
    (And if you aren't, the security softs won't protect you anyway)
  16. Wave

Wave Guest

Here I am! :)
  17. Omnipotent

Omnipotent Guest

I'm going to be honest here, I too have switched to only using Windows Defender. I just don't see the need in wasting extra resources on security programs, if i'm already adopting good browsing habits. If i ever become victim to malware which is very unlikely then i would simply install an on-demand scanner or completely reformat my PC. I have nothing valuable to lose anyway, i only have programs/games installed on this PC. All my photos, music and documents are backed up on a 4GB USB. I've never paid for any security software, I've been using ESET for around 2 months just by reformatting my PC after the 30 day trial ends just to experiment with it. There is really is no need to pay for any security software, as @Wave said, educate yourself and you will never need to use anything. If you wan't to be on the safe side then keep your PC virtualized with Shadow Defender or Faronics Deep Freeze.
    venustus, Yash Khan, frogboy and 9 others like this.
  18. aragornnnn

aragornnnn Level 11

Aug 18, 2016
    Warehouse Employee @ Nike ELC Belgium
    Windows 10
    Thanks for sharing your config!

I guess you know what you are doing :D
    Yash Khan, frogboy, Andy Ful and 7 others like this.
  19. pablozi

pablozi Level 22

Jun 14, 2011
    Null Island
    Windows 10
    As a big fan of simplicity I need to amdit that I really love your setup.
    Yash Khan, frogboy, Andy Ful and 5 others like this.
  20. Wave

Wave Guest

I agree with what you said in your post :) (the below isn't aimed at you, but just another post haha, saw the oppertunity to escape from under my rock and shine some light on some topics quickly):

I recommend to just reformat the PC and use an old, clean backup, since once your system is infected you'll never know if it's 100% clean or not even after scanning with every single scanner out there. For example, if you become infected with a rootkit which is brand new, how do you know it is really gone after using an on-demand scanner which detected some objects? You won't know unless you had previously analysed the sample to understand exactly how it worked and the changes it made.

As well as this, reformatting is a much better option than just reinstalling the OS, since malware can directly write to the HDD and cause it to come back after an OS reinstall (but this will not happen in the case of a complete reformat). That being said, some really rare malware may infect even the firmware (BIOS) to come back (for example), and then in this case you'd need to flash the BIOS... Or a hardware infection, replace the hardware components. Now tell me if Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will detect something like this? It won't.

Better be safe than sorry, just don't let the system become compromised and there won't be a problem. :)