Poll WD My Book 5TB Vs. My Passport 5TB as a backup drive?

Which one would you choose if your priority is reliability and longevity.

• 5TB WD mybook

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • 5TB WD my passport

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
My brother needs a 5TB backup drive. His only priority is reliability of the drive. The data backed up is only to be used in case of failure of another drive, so the drive will be in the storage most of the time.

Reactions: piquiteco

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
If your brother's main priority is reliability, I would recommend going with the WD My Book 5TB. The My Book series is designed for long-term reliability and data protection. It has built-in backup and encryption options, and its large desktop-style design provides better airflow and cooling compared to portable drives like the My Passport.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Are they both using the same family of the 5tb drive? Best way is to buy both and open it up to make since that one is a NAS storage one vs performance one. The nas storage or "surveillance" storage ones are slower but last longer. Although yes airflow counts.

WyntechUmbrella

Level 1
Jul 28, 2023
I've used lots of WD My Passport and WD Element, and they have been very reliable. The My Passport range is slightly faster than the Element and have better software utilities, if that's something you would use. I don't have any experience with the My Book range of product, but I've read good things about it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.