Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi everyone:

I have installed Web of Trust as sometimes Kaspersky's URL advisor shows no ratings for websites. However, on websites I have gone to look at e.g., for 3D wallpapers WOT shows a red rating, use VirusTotal and they all say the websites is safe. So, can you trust the ratings; or would some deliberately give a poor rating/review?

Tony :)

Reactions: frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
That is what i have wondered for a while now but i guess the majority of people do the right thing one would hope with the ratings but who knows. :eek::D

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
This is why Web of Trust should always be taken with a grain of salt. (or maybe a bucket of salt)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Yes, I have now found 15 websites that they rate as unsafe (red) listed as viruses, spam, suspicious, phishing and so forth. Yet, scan them with VirusTotal and they come back clean and safe to use.

H

hjlbx

On my system after the first page of web search results, I have to refresh the browser and then the Kaspersky website ratings will appear. I'm not sure if its a bug in Kaspersky, a browser cache issue or something else.

On the Kaspersky forum others have reported this issue.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Yes, I sometimes get the URL ratings, then I can search for the same thing and I get nothing. I think it will still block malicious web pages as it works in Opera, and that does not install any Kaspersky add-on's.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Considering its a community based ratings, its better to consult from embedded third party source of WOT (HpHost, MDL, and others) caused it will be an automatic either red or yellow besides of user comments.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Could be a result of many factors.

{Post Edit tomorrow}

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
This is why Web of Trust should always be taken with a grain of salt. (or maybe a bucket of salt)
Am sorry to say, but WOT is still the best tool to detect spam/phishing/untrusted websites like no/other.

Yes, I have now found 15 websites that they rate as unsafe (red) listed as viruses, spam, suspicious, phishing and so forth. Yet, scan them with VirusTotal and they come back clean and safe to use.

There are various reasons why WOT tries to label a Yellow/Red rating to websites. Even websites with a privacy policy undefined might go into the Yellow rating. The best reason why WOT is so effective or useful is it's comments section posted by users that you can get by clicking on the extension, and then user comments.

I tried searching for wallpapers sites that you said were marked red from Google. Not many appeared. But one that appeared was

www.livewallpapers.mob.org - Just taking a look at the comments section gives me these results why it has got a red rating. The site doesn't have a privacy policy, contact page without encryption, has hidden whois without customer knowledge etc etc.

Another good thing about WOT is that even if a site has been rated red/yellow the site owners can ask to reset the reputation provided they review the comments and take the necessary measures so that the website is safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
Am sorry to say, but WOT is still the best tool to detect spam/phishing/untrusted websites like no/other.
I think you misunderstood my intention - yes, I do use WoT, but don't take it as gospel. Unsafe sites can have green ratings or unrated, and it's my biggest concern. Sites with red ratings are usually that way for a good reason - which a look at the comments can reveal why.

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Used it long time ago, my opinion is that it is not so good because everyone could add ratings which are not verified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.