App Review Webroot SecureAnywhere CE 2023

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Webroot is an American security solution based on the 100% Cloud.
Previously, Webroot provided an anti-spyware solution called SpySweeper.
They bought PrevX, one of the first companies to focus on the 100% Cloud, to become SecureAnywhere.
Despite this, Webroot has never shone in my tests, and I hope it will succeed in changing that.

Interface: 10/10

Webroot's interface is very simple, similar to that of its competitor Trend Micro, also 100% Cloud.
Install and forget!
However, it annoys me by always wanting to do a scan like Avira, but I also appreciate that it can detect other traces of an active infection.

Protection:9/9 Web / Fake crack 1/1 Remains 69 threats on210 malware / PC destroyed !!

Webroot began to impress me with its Web filtering efforts, giving me a clean bill of health!
I was also very confident about the fake crack, which he pulled off with flying colors!
But my confidence quickly waned on the fake crack.
Webroot lets too many infections through, even old ones!
Virus.CTS is a computer virus from...2005! I think it's a disgrace for a major security company to allow such an old virus to install itself!
Worse still, its firewall never reacted. Webroot left me defenseless at the mercy of cyber-criminals and their C&C servers, allowing the virtual machine to become infected at breakneck speed.
And finally, GDI malware managed to install itself, destroying the MBR.

Webroot is still not to be recommended.

Result : PC destroyed

Recommand : No
System Clean : System very infected

NB: During the false crack test, you may see a green screen. I apologize, it's due to an H.265 codec I'm testing that crashed during editing....
Don't worry, it blocked it. I'll try to correct the problem in the future.

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I used to use SpySweeper, then SS plus AV, then tried Webroot when it was included with a notebook purchase. After a couple of BSOD, uninstalled it and never looked back. Now let alone with your confirmation that it's "totally" inept, to say the least, is a good reminder to leave that one in the dust.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Webroot is an American security solution based on the 100% Cloud.
Previously, Webroot provided an anti-spyware solution called SpySweeper.
They bought PrevX, one of the first companies to focus on the 100% Cloud, to become SecureAnywhere.
Despite this, Webroot has never shone in my tests, and I hope it will succeed in changing that.

Interface: 10/10

Webroot's interface is very simple, similar to that of its competitor Trend Micro, also 100% Cloud.
Install and forget!
However, it annoys me by always wanting to do a scan like Avira, but I also appreciate that it can detect other traces of an active infection.

Protection:9/9 Web / Fake crack 1/1 Remains 69 threats on210 malware / PC destroyed !!

Webroot began to impress me with its Web filtering efforts, giving me a clean bill of health!
I was also very confident about the fake crack, which he pulled off with flying colors!
But my confidence quickly waned on the fake crack.
Webroot lets too many infections through, even old ones!
Virus.CTS is a computer virus from...2005! I think it's a disgrace for a major security company to allow such an old virus to install itself!
Worse still, its firewall never reacted. Webroot left me defenseless at the mercy of cyber-criminals and their C&C servers, allowing the virtual machine to become infected at breakneck speed.
And finally, GDI malware managed to install itself, destroying the MBR.

Webroot is still not to be recommended.

Result : PC destroyed

Recommand : No
System Clean : System very infected

NB: During the false crack test, you may see a green screen. I apologize, it's due to an H.265 codec I'm testing that crashed during editing....
Don't worry, it blocked it. I'll try to correct the problem in the future.

Yay. Thank you

The product is stellar as always!

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Webroot SecureAnywhere is the grim reaper of AV's.

reaper.jpg

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Why install such inventions ?
Isn't it better to install something normal, something that is recommended ?
There are plenty of free programs that are as good as paid ones.
A test is a test - I understand - fun. But who will install such a thing at home as the first line of protection, or even purchase it ?

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
A test is a test - I understand - fun. But who will install such a thing at home as the first line of protection, or even purchase it ?
Webroot protection is like attempting to get sickle cell anemia in order to reduce the chances of getting malaria. In the end both will kill you if untreated but with sickle cell anemia you will live long enough to reproduce.

I don't think the PC was destroyed. Seeing the last few seconds I can honestly state that the computer was suddenly teleported to the late 60's and we all know that every computer program and hardware starts counting from 1970. Thus the computer suddenly started to question it's own existence and took the easy way out.

Last edited:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
I see so many Webroot haters here. It doesn't matter that the PC was destroyed, because as everyone should know, tests don't matter. Also, your test makes it clear that you just don't understand how Webroot works.
Yeah, man totally agree, just had to wait a few days for the "roll back" feature to kick in:rolleyes:

Regards Eck:)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
some of us had used Prevx and liked it, it worked; then, it devolved... o_O

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.