App Review Webroot Websecure Anywhere VS Ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
It seems Webroot, by way of Carbonite, got acquired recently by a firm called OpenText. Not excusing anything but maybe, you know...uh. Duh. Ok, never mind.

Happy New Year's Day, everyone! 🎇💗🕛✨

a-big-fish-eating-a-small-fish-which-is-about-to-eat-an-even-smaller-fish-77381771-5883de145f9...jpg

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Webroot has a lot of customers,this is what really makes no sense,They must have a strong marketing department,selling ice to Eskimos,a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic,lights on no bodies home,but its so light on the system! goods deals on a bridge in Brooklyn,Snake Oil guarantee to help you loose weight,regrow hair on your head,oh in case I forget you will feel 20 years younger

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Webroot has a lot of customers,this is what really makes no sense,They must have a strong marketing department,selling ice to Eskimos,a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic,lights on no bodies home,but its so light on the system! goods deals on a bridge in Brooklyn,Snake Oil guarantee to help you loose weight,regrow hair on your head,oh in case I forget you will feel 20 years younger
It's really light. Which I believe is what attracted people to it in the first place.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
For me, it's not the Webroot product per se. You can supplement and tweak just about anything into good security. I hope current development will breathe new life into it, seriously. (y)

The problem I had was with the attitude of exclusivity by the Webroot product forum regulars, where it seemed only a chosen few were intelligent and worthy enough to run the product. Everyone else was :poop:. That ended, obviously, but one remembers these things. 😒

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I remember the first generation Webroot branded SpySweeper was actually a pretty good PUA/adware remover. It would do about as good of a job as Spybot/Ad-Aware but scan in a fraction of the time. But that was a long long time ago, in the era of BonziBuddy, and it seems like these days there's little reason to look at Webroot.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Ally Bank gives it away free, which is how I got it a couple years ago. I ran it on my ancient Core Duo laptop because it was light, though it had frequent FP's so I didn't install it on my newer Windows 10 laptop. Members at DSLR also complain that WR creates massive database files, in one case reaching 98 GB!

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Ally Bank gives it away free, which is how I got it a couple years ago. I ran it on my ancient Core Duo laptop because it was light, though it had frequent FP's so I didn't install it on my newer Windows 10 laptop. Members at DSLR also complain that WR creates massive database files, in one case reaching 98 GB!

That's exactly how I tried it.... through the free license through Ally Bank.

And in the simplest homegrown testing, I was amazed how badly it was failing.... which is exactly what happened over and over again here in Malware Hub. It really is Insecure Everywhere.

For any with their eyes open.... The Green Kool-Aid dream is over.

1577927900546.png

OH YEAAHH!

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

When I registered a decade ago to be a closed beta tester for the newly born Webroot, successor of Prevx, it was indeed very good and shown lot of promises. I was a big fan, I was the one heavily promoting it here at MT, made reviews and guide to show how potent and promising it was.
Sadly during this decade of testing, it didn't improve by a cent. Slowly falling behind every others.
For example, took them a almost a decade (until last year) to implement script blocking where others had it since ages. They promised anti-exploit a year ago, well it is still a promise...

Sure fanboys have their part of responsibility, they all had the same stupid argument " I never got infected so it is super-strong" sure...but did they ran scriptors or more complex malware? Serious pentesters did, Webroot failed...
It failed so much that they found a revolutionary argument "people don't know how it works", sure there is many security professionals and experts who tested it, but when it comes to Webroot, they suddenly all becomes noob lol.

To me the real responsible is Webroot itself, fanboys are peanuts distilling their biased opinion only on forums. The Webroot dev/support are the real problem denying reported vulnerabilities discovered by their own consumers/testers.

When i use a security soft, I don't care how light it is if it can't protect me against modern conplex malware. I don't care about the ordinary ones, I care about threats average product can't stop properly.

I still have my closed tester license, I don't even use it. I wish I could but Webroot doesn't fill any role in my security strategy, I even prefer WD lol.

I still hope they improve, because I still like the concept, and we all know harder you like something, harder the criticism... but more i see, less hope I have...

Last edited by a moderator:

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I remember the first generation Webroot branded SpySweeper was actually a pretty good PUA/adware remover. It would do about as good of a job as Spybot/Ad-Aware but scan in a fraction of the time. But that was a long long time ago, in the era of BonziBuddy, and it seems like these days there's little reason to look at Webroot.

Wow I totally forgot about that : the hayday of webroot....it was incorpersted into the first version of hitman pro , when spyware was on the rise and seemed to be the biggest threat back then. They also had window washer which was a really good junk cleaner , was a good junk cleaner back than. Too bad that they stopped in progression and that the fanboys keep defending it into the grave....webroot is done and dusted. Time to move on....

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.