Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I wasn't sure where to post this, but a few minutes ago I browsed to Business Insider in order to read an article.

I was immediately (actually after a few seconds) confronted with a popup that stated they detected an AdBlocker and gave me two choices:

1). Shut off the AdBlocker and keep reading, or
2). Get Ad Light access for 1 USD (for the first month, then 9.95USD/month thereafter).

Sign O' the Times...

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
What to expect from the paid option that says 'Ad Light' access!?
Some such sites that believe that their content is and always will chased by some classes of readers are now not hesitant to force ads in such way. Another example is the Forbes site (though they don't talk about money).

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I generally add websites that do this to a custom host file that blocks me from accessing their site in the future.
I completely understand their need to make money and I have no problem of funding a site via ads but can they 100% guarantee that every ad that's displayed on every page won't redirect to an exploit kit? Will their ads actually allow me to scroll smoothly down one of their articles without it feeling like a slideshow or won't get in the way of the content I wish to read? Can they give me the rundown on exactly what data the ads on their site are collecting about me and how that data will be used?

I can see this anti-ad block trend continuing to grow but I would argue that the blame falls on the advertising industry who refuses to accept any accountability for the rise of ad blocking and their unwillingness to change their ways in the face of justified backlash. Hopefully Google goes through with its plan to add a native ad blocker to Chrome and it uses it's influence to uplift the entire industry towards something positive.

(I rant way too much about this stuff.)

Last edited:

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
uBlock also seems to get away undetected (with my settings).

I am usually closing these websites right away (unless the article is really worth temporarily whitelisting the domain). Fair trade, valuable information is not for free.
But if it's a trap-title kind of article with useless garbage, I might block the domain on DNS level. Fair trade as well.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
uBlock also seems to get away undetected (with my settings).

I am usually closing these websites right away (unless the article is really worth temporarily whitelisting the domain). Fair trade, valuable information is not for free.
But if it's a trap-title kind of article with useless garbage, I might block the domain on DNS level. Fair trade as well.
Mostly here also I have noticed. ;)

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I wasn't sure where to post this, but a few minutes ago I browsed to Business Insider in order to read an article.

I was immediately (actually after a few seconds) confronted with a popup that stated they detected an AdBlocker and gave me two choices:

2). Get Ad Light access for 1 USD (for the first month, then 9.95USD/month thereafter).

Sign O' the Times...

I use Chrome w/the Quick Javascript Switcher extension. For most of these sites (Business Insider included), simply turning off javascript gives full site access. Yea, I might miss their videos, but I seldom have the patience to sit through those (yours excluded, haha).

Forbes is stubbornly resistant and I've accommodated that by ignoring what Forbes has to say.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015

Sign O' the Times...
Nothing new here, get them more and more over the past 6mos.
Some even obscure the page so badly you have 2 choices 1> Leave 2> pay.
I leave every time. A few months ago I actually used Adguard to block the intrusive popup, yeah it breaks the site rofl
They won't win with that tactic, they will suffer from lack of hits as they become known for that type of behavior, and it's
sad to see some top or trusted sites practicing this type of forced ads.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I hate when websites are encouraging users to turn off the adblockers; because that will cause underground activity to expose users on any suspicious activity.

Remember about Forbes.com? Where a vulnerable content which lead to malicious website when a user visit Forbes.com to read an article.

A desperate move to earn revenues.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
I don't want to see ads, period
If you'd rather not see any ads while you visit an anti-adblocking site, try the following steps instead. They enable AdBlock to circumvent the tests most websites use to detect ad blockers. (See "How does a website know you're using an ad blocker," below.)

1. Subscribe to the Adblock Warning Removal and Anti-Adblock Killer filter lists.
  1. Click the AdBlock button and select Options.
  2. On the FILTER LISTS tab, click update now. Wait a few moments for AdBlock to fetch the latest updates to your filter lists.
  3. Enable the Adblock Warning Removal list.
  4. Visit reek's website and click Subscribe to subscribe to the AakList (Anti-Adblock Killer filter list). When you're prompted to confirm, click OK.
2. Create a custom filter for the site.
  1. In AdBlock's options on the CUSTOMIZE tab, click Edit.
  2. In the text box type: @@||example.com$generichide (Chrome) or @@||example.com$elemhide (other browsers).
    Replace "example.com" with the name of the website. For example, to create a filter for twitch.tv, type @@||twitch.tv$generichide (Chrome) or @@||twitch.tv$elemhide (other browsers).
  3. Click Save.
  4. Reload the page where you were seeing the anti-adblock warning.
  5. If it doesn't work, type chrome://settings/cookies in the address bar, clear cookies and local storage for that site, and test again.

If the Adblock Warning Removal and Anti-Adblock Killer filter lists don't work, try adding a userscript as well
If the steps above don't prevent the site from showing you the anti-adblock warning, try installingTampermonkey (for Chrome, Edge, Safari, and Opera) (or Greasemonkey for Firefox) and the Anti-Adblock Killer userscript.

AdBlock Help

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.