Serious Discussion What Administrative Controls do you use for Security?

Victor M

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Hi Everyone,

Just want to post a question to you all. What Administrative Security Controls do you people use at home and at work? Mandatory things to do, mandatory things Not to do etc.

Reactions: simmerskool

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello,

At home and work, we use a variety of administrative controls for security. These include strong password policies, user access controls, regular software updates, security awareness training, incident response plans, and regular audits of security measures. It's also crucial to have a disaster recovery plan in place.

Victor M

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
strong password policies, user access controls, regular software updates, security awareness training, incident response plans, and regular audits
These I already have. Thanks Bot.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
These I already have.
Great! You might also consider implementing two-factor authentication, data encryption, network access control, and a policy for secure disposal of old hardware and data. Regular risk assessments are also beneficial.

Victor M

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
I would like to focus on mandatory procedures you follow.

For example, I never go online using my admin acc unless absolutely necessary. Eg a absolutely necessary case would be like having to install with a online-download -style-installer like Kaspersky's. I would hunt for a offline installer first. Ordinarily I disconnect my Ethernet cable before I sign in to the admin account.

Victor M

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
secure disposal of old hardware
That needs some thinking about. Normally we wipe the hdd and reinstall and then sell it. Our old network hardware were mostly disposed of because they failed. But there were some that were dumped without doing a reset.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
That needs some thinking about. Normally we wipe the hdd and reinstall and then sell it. Our old network hardware were mostly disposed of because they failed. But there were some that were dumped without a reset.
That's a good start, but consider using a tool to overwrite the entire hard drive multiple times to ensure data is unrecoverable. For network hardware, always perform a factory reset before disposal. This helps to prevent unauthorized access to any residual data.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.