What Antivirus Do the Staff Use Right Now?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
You don't have to be a malware expert to avoid getting infected, just watch your actions when downloading files, use Windows built-in security features and never approve unknown processes on UAC.

I don't consider myself to be a malware expert but I have not had any of my systems infected since about 2002 on Windows XP before SP1, SP2 and SP3 and before secure web browsers were available.

Yes I do know how to completely cleanup systems I have been doing that for many years for my customers but I don't do extensive research on malware or do I test it. I really don't care what a particular malware sample can do to a system, I work on preventions and removal.

Basically all security products are failures to reckless users, it doesn't make a difference how good detection rate is for one particular product according to tests there are always several detections that will be missed. Only wise and cautious users will keep their system clean.

My mother is 67 years old and she learned how to avoid malware with her own actions without any knowledge about how malware works just using MSE and Windows Firewall. She has not had any infections at all since about 4 years ago. It only took her a few days to learn, I setup her up on a Limited User Account and watched what she did and explained to her how she made mistakes. She visited some fake alert sites, malicious ads, suspicious infected sites, phishing scams etc. and explained to her what to do when she encounters these threats and how to utilize UAC. If something comes up confusing to her then she calls me and ask me what to do before she clicks. The last 4 years she has been running on Admin account with no problems. My mother is basically computer illiterate and if she can do this then there is no reason why other people can't learn as well.

Enjoy!! :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.