App Review What Are The Top 5 Skills Necessary To Have A Successful Cybersecurity Career?

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Cybersecurity Meg

Cybersecurity Meg

Thread author
Nov 26, 2020
Hello. I am the Cyber Security Incident Response Manager for a large company, and recently began making some videos on Youtube that are geared towards honing in on some specific topics. Recently, I wanted to discuss topics that can be applicable towards those who are either looking to get in to the Cybersecurity field, or are new to the Cybersecurity field.

My proposed top 5 skills necessary to have a successful Cybersecurity career are as noted below (in case you don't have the time to watch the video). Do you agree, or disagree? What are - in your opinion - the top 5 skills necessary for a successful Cybersecurity career?

1. 01:27 Paying attention to detail in order to differentiate what is abnormal from what is expected
2. 03:53 Communicating clearly and effectively to relevant stakeholders (both oral and written)
3. 06:43 Be a self-motivated/self-guided learner
4. 08:56 Have a positive attitude
5. 10:49 Ability to prioritise tasks/incidents as they occur

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I worked at a local medical unit for several years, they had Ransomware, the IT guy had very limited resources & I helped out as another did - From my viewpoint at that time he needed & had belief he could fix the problem, he stayed on site until it was fixed - I don't think he went home at all one day - Listing 5 points at that time would have been laughable, the guy worked hard until he succeeded - He had to deal with very large volumes of stress as when can we use IT again - It wasn't a large system but I was impressed with his determination & ability to keep his (outer) cool - Main point: He got the job done under pressure.

Last edited:

Cybersecurity Meg

Thread author
Nov 26, 2020
Depends on how consistent and effective you are at demonstrating those skills, as anyone could note down those 5 key skills on a CV/Resume for almost any career.
Absolutely. The video isn't about skills to mention in an interview, rather skills that are necessary throughout the duration of one's lifetime in the Cybersecurity field.

I worked at a local medical unit for several years, they had Ransomware, the IT guy had very limited resources & I helped out as another did - From my viewpoint at that time he needed & had belief he could fix the problem, he stayed on site until it was fixed - I don't think he went home at all one day - Listing 5 points at that time would have been laughable, the guy worked hard until he succeeded - He had to deal with very large volumes of stress as when can we use IT again - It wasn't a large system but I was impressed with his determination & ability to keep his (outer) cool - Main point: He got the job done under pressure.
Definitely sounds like a great guy to work with!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.