Poll What are uBlockOrigin users going to do when Google Manifest 3 will be implemented

When Mv3 will be implemented, what are uBlockOrigin users going to do?

• 1. I am going to switch (or already have to switched) to another content/ad blocker extenstion

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • 2. I am going to switch (or already have to switched) to another browser

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • 3. I am going to switch (or already have to switched) to uBlockLite

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • 4. I don't know yet (or still hoping that uBO will be adopted to Mv3)

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • 5. Switch to Adguard Desktop plus DNS

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • 6. Not using Chromium browser and really thinking my browser of choice won't adopt to www standards

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
In chromium browsers, except possibly Brave, you'll need to use µBlock Origin Lite, Adguard MV3 Experimental, Ghostery or Privacy Badger. Regular µBO will only work in Firefox and its Gecko variants.
Thanks, but why would you use an adblocker in Brave? Okay, Brave still has not implemented some of the most advanced features of uBO, but I am not using them (like most average user I don't miss those features).

On the plus side Brave offers bypass paywalls as a standard list and refers to uBlock0rigin documentation for writing custom rules, which makes me think that .... (scoop)

Brave will support Mv2 (and uBO) until they have implemented all advanced features of uBO (and other populat extensions needing advanced javascriptlet functionality like bypass paywalls and no more cookies) in Brave shields :cool:(y)

Reason why Brave developers take their time to implement advanced javascriptlets is that Brave's adblocker (shields) are written in Rust (which is a safer language than javascript)

Last edited:

Alexai

Level 3
Aug 12, 2023
In chromium browsers, except possibly Brave, you'll need to use µBlock Origin Lite, Adguard MV3 Experimental, Ghostery or Privacy Badger. Regular µBO will only work in Firefox and its Gecko variants.

Yes. Anything that uses mv3 will not work with uBo. All browsers will eventually use mv3, but firefox-based browsers will continue to use mv2 as well.

And adguard desktop version?

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
After 30 voters 16 out 30 have moved to another solution and 3 (only 10%) moved (or will move) to uBOlite, the remaining seem to wait and see (either hoping uBO will adapt to Mv3 eventually or their browser will keep facilitating Mv2 for ever).

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Alexai

Level 3
Aug 12, 2023
They have a free trial so you can test and see if you like it and if you need the extra functions (or just go to the new MV3 version later). If you like it they have most of the time cheap legit licenses at stacksocial. AdGuard Personal Plan Lifetime Subscription
I'm in this from yesterday. (y)

Virtuoso

Level 3
Feb 21, 2022

Adguard has announced that they will seamlessly update their normal Adguard extension to MV3 version in Chrome webstore, the current MV3 Experimental version is for testing and review purpose.

There is no clarity on what will happen with uBlock Origin in Chrome webstore, I had suggested to Gorhill to replace it with Lite version, so that people will have atleast some protection, let use see what he does when the time comes. I have installed ublock Origin in many people's browsers who will not be tech savvy enough to change it to Adguard or uBoLite themselves.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I bought a year of Kaspersky standard yesteday. First , I don't know how they have done it, but on this computer it's probably the lightest antivirus I have ever used. There is a brilliant adblocker in it, so if I can't use uBlock anymore, I'm gonna start using that.

I have 3 months Eset NOD 32 licens if anybody can use it. 👍

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
I bought a year of Kaspersky standard yesteday. First , I don't know how they have done it, but on this computer it's probably the lightest antivirus I have ever used. There is a brilliant adblocker in it, so if I can't use uBlock anymore, I'm gonna start using that.

I have 3 months Eset NOD 32 licens if anybody can use it. 👍
Im using Bitdefender TS, also very light. Im thinking to use Norton Safebrowser again, the adblocker is amazing in it.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
When all browsers will ditch MV2 then it will be interesting to see how good DNS ad blocking + an MV3 adblocker is and if the Adguard desktop app sales spike :D
Honestly I'm using Safari on iOS. It's basically blocking everything. The only difference is no cosmetic filtering. But, most sites are dynamic so you don't see big gaps. It still beats seeing ads any day.

I'm sure by the time Mozilla dumos MV2, some adblocker will have found a breakthrough because the Demand for adblock is high.

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
Adguard Mv3 beta is already really good at the moment. When new (more genereous) Google limitations are applied (increase from 5000 to 30000 dynamic rules and increase from 30 to 150000 static rules) and new user script API is fully functional AdGuard Mv3 will be nearly as good as AG Mv2 and it will become better. New Mv3 also gives developers more control over service worker lifetime and provides a new offscreen documents feature, this will make it easier for developers to prevent pre-roll/bumper ads and in-video ads in videos. Snippets of info from AG indicate that AdGuard could seamlessly move from Mv2 to Mv3 end June or Juli.

Typing this on Linux with Brave as browser :) (using Brave Shields only as content blocker (y) )

Future is bright IMO :=)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.