Poll What are uBlockOrigin users going to do when Google Manifest 3 will be implemented

When Mv3 will be implemented, what are uBlockOrigin users going to do?

• 1. I am going to switch (or already have to switched) to another content/ad blocker extenstion

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • 2. I am going to switch (or already have to switched) to another browser

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • 3. I am going to switch (or already have to switched) to uBlockLite

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • 4. I don't know yet (or still hoping that uBO will be adopted to Mv3)

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • 5. Switch to Adguard Desktop plus DNS

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • 6. Not using Chromium browser and really thinking my browser of choice won't adopt to www standards

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
Just wondering what the thoughts are what uBlockOrigin users are going to do when their favourite extension is phased piy due to Mv3 implementation.

I allowed for two choices to facilitate people having a primary and secondary browser approach

I switched from Edge as primary with no adblocker and Chrome as secondary with uBO to Chrome as Primary with AdGuard and Brave as secondary with none. To be honest the increasing addition of non primary browser functionality of Edge also helped to switch browsers.

Apology for the writing error "(or already have to switched)" should be "(or already have switched)", but I can't change the text anymore.

Last edited:

JustInTime

Level 1
Feb 21, 2022
Just wondering what the thoughts are what uBlockOrigin users are going to do when their favourite extension is phased piy due to Mv3 implementation.

I allowed for two choices to facilitate people having a primary and secondary browser approach
Your question should be for Chrome/Chromium users not for uBlock Origin users. Also Brave will be supporting mv2 as far as I know. If one just doesn't want to drop Chrome for whatever reason AdGuard MV3 is better choice than ublock lite right now.

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
Your question should be for Chrome/Chromium users not for uBlock Origin users. Also Brave will be supporting mv2 as far as I know.
Good point you are making but ...

That is also not 100% correct because AdBlock, AdGuard, Badger or Ghostery users won't have to change on Chromium because these developers have said they will adopt their extension to Mv3

and....

In the past browsers always adopted to the WWW-standards, so even the browsers now saying they will keep facilitating Mv2 won't be doing that forever (only to lure users from Chrome to their browser, it is most likely just a marketing tactic to attract more users)

Last edited:

JustInTime

Level 1
Feb 21, 2022
That is also not 100% correct because AdBlock, AdGuard, Badger or Ghostery users won't have to change on Chromium because these developers have said they will adopt their extension to Mv3
If adopting to mv3 is the point than ublock also has adopted to mv3, so can we also assume ublock users won't have to change. Many other adblock users will also switch if mv3 blockers aren't effective. Just add one more option of "Wasn't using Chrome anyway".

LennyFox

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 18, 2024
If adopting to mv3 is the point than ublock also has adopted to mv3, so can we also assume ublock users won't have to change. Many other adblock users will also switch if mv3 blockers aren't effective. Just add one more option of "Wasn't using Chrome anyway".
1. uBOL does not have the same functionality than uBo (needs an additional filtering engine).
2. Again you got a point so added this option (wasn't using chrome, so I am not going to be affected by it) 😛 (y)

Last edited:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
How about the desktop version of Adguard and DNS filtering?
I still use uBlock Origin for Librewolf and already switched to Adguard for desktop and DNS filtering with ControlD Malware for everything else… Using Safe to Open online security extension for Chrome and Edge. Will check future tests before deciding to keep that one.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Think Will go to uBlockLite, but mostly using Edge as default browser (is edge also going to use mv3 too ???
Yes, Edge will use mv3 too:
We are currently in the process of updating our MV3 migration timelines.

We are aware that Chromium has revised the timelines for Manifest V2 sunset. We will independently decide on MV3 migration timelines for Microsoft Edge Add-ons and share an update here. We continue to analyze the concerns raised by the extension developers and explore the optimal path for Microsoft Edge Add-ons ecosystem. Meanwhile, please refer to the Chromium timelines for planning your extension's migration.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Eventually all browsers and extensions will migrate to MV3.
Even Firefox:
The Manifest V3 changes apply to extensions for Safari, Firefox, and Chromium-based browsers – such as Chrome, Edge, and Opera. While the goal is to maintain a high degree of compatibility between the Firefox, Safari, and Chromium extension platforms, our implementation diverges where we think it matters and where our values point to a different direction.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I suspect that Brave user base will continue to increase when the MV3 transition dust has finally settled because it may be the only option for users who want to use custom filter lists. You can see this trend happening now.
AV-Comparatives - IT Security Survey 2024
There will be some increase, but only from privacy and security conscious people.
Most will just use Chrome, Edge or Safari (default browser on their device) without any adblocker and don't notice this transition.

Virtuoso

Level 3
Feb 21, 2022
I will be moving to Adguard extension, their MV3 version will be much better than Ublock Lite which is intentionally gimped and does not make full use of MV3 rules for some ideological reasons. Adguard will be able to block Youtube Ads even after moving to MV3 as they will be using Dynamic rules.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I've been using uBO Lite on the built-in Edge browser for several months, combined w/ PopUpOff. It's adequate, but not as good as uBO in Firefox, mainly because it lacks user filters and an element zapper. OTOH, I find it easier to block autoplay videos in Edge than on Firefox, so I have less need of the zapper on Edge.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.