What are Your Disappointments with Security Softs ?

What are Your Disappointment(s) with Security Softs ?

• Total voters
H

hjlbx

Thread author
This should turn out to be interesting poll.

The poll choices are meant to be the most common complaints, but of course, a large number of other choices could be included in the poll.

Should you have any important points please explain further in the poll thread.

Anyhow, select all those that apply.

NOTE: Problematic Updates are a part of Bugs; please select Bugs; various malfunctions for slow, intermittent udpates.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Some are worse than others, but generally I have found all of the above true with many security softs.

The three that have been almost problem-free - and therefore not a major disappointment - have been AppGuard, NoVIrusThanks Exe Radar Pro, and Shadow Defender.

I would include Sandboxie as essentially problem-free, but for whatever reason it causes a webpage loading delay on my systems - which annoys me to no end.

N

Noxx

Thread author
System impact and configuration. I'm generally satisfied with the protection aspects.

Edit: I guess I'm lucky putting into consideration the poll results. I RARELY have bugs.

I

illumination

Thread author
You just about could have provided this list with one check box for them all ;)

The last 3 are not as important as the remaining above it, but all in all, one could just about dub this the "everything I cant stand about security products" list.

S

Smith83

Thread author
"High system impact" is something I will not tolerate, irrespective of how good the software may purportedly be!

Indeed, sometimes they work fine from the start, then they begin slowing things down. Also, if you do not pay attention to what you are doing then you get an infection anyway. People just think well, I have an antivirus I can click anything I want. In 95% of all malware threads in forums, people have an antivirus installed. Yet they get infected, and then the antivirus can not even clean it.

I think having an ad blocker installed is more vital than an antivirus, out of site out of mind.

Here are examples below.
http://imgur.com/LxusfPc
With ad blocker.
Without ad blocker.

The temptation to click on random ads is great, especially if you are morbidly obese and see an ad for miracle diet pills. This concept applies to novice computer users, and idiots who believe more than they should...

Having an effective ad blocker like Ublock Origin, and software like Unchecky, is more likely to protect someone than an antivirus. Unchecky will keep the Novice who installs things safe, and it is much much lighter. Add something like VooDoo Shield to the mix, and the novice computer user will not install a software if there are even two detection's. They will see a detection and be like, to hell with that it's a virus.

Other things like Anti Adblock in conjunction with Grease Monkey will help the novice from disabling their ad blocker cause a web site says they need to. An antivirus is a complete waste of system resources, a person could install all of these software that I mentioned and notice Zero slow downs. Also, with emails. You gotta know that you didn't win 1,000,000 dollars and nothing is going to grow your.... well uh, you get the idea.

For all of you who will say, yeah you need an antivirus. I will direct you to re-read these paragraphs that I have just written. Following these methods, many people I have helped are issue free.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
The disappointment I've faced isn't listed... translations for good software like diskshot or something like ALYac which uses Bitdefender,Sophos and Terra engine only in local version(Korean/Japanese), other than that I would pick the obvious 3 :
1.Slowdowns
2.Incompatibility
3.Bugs

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Usually I found security programs to be problematic on system impacts because many users assume its a sole solution to eliminate hindrance on another security software.Next in line is detection rates where inconsistent because of some common threats to be bypass.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
The last 3 are not as important as the remaining above it, but all in all, one could just about dub this the "everything I cant stand about security products" list.
I have to agree however I went ahead with the poll and chose 2 that bother me the most.
Bugs
Poor Tech Support/Customer Service

H

hjlbx

Thread author
If one does a lot of beta\stable release evaluation, then one sees all manner of problems. I frequently see malfunctions of various typesduring malware testing.

It will be interesting just to see what others' perspectives and experiences are on the matter.

Poll results show system impact and bugs are the leading disappointments - which doesn't surprise me in the least.

However, if one really evaluates stable releases in-depth, one will find all manner of problems. In particular with security suites, I always find various bugs\malfunctions during malware testing.

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
My pet peeves with these kind of software be like:
  1. Resources of usage
  2. Cleaning of Automatic (without prompts / options)
  3. Configurations in the pc fixing on the automatic they are (again without permission)
  4. Prompts different too many are they
  5. Any if incompatibility
PS: I'm not referring to my AVG Free here (actually I love it to bits)

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
For me:
1.Incompatible with other installed softwares. but rare.. so far
2.malfunctions of various types, like crashed while threats removal or when updating virus database for first time.
3.You report bugs, but they are not even response my email back. Since then, i will never report anything.. ;)
4.does not remove malware properly\completely. Sometimes this one happened on some product even after reboot.. and then crashed itself

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.