What are Your Disappointments with Security Softs ?

What are Your Disappointment(s) with Security Softs ?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I would like to see options in the Poll like
No Custom Install Option
Additional Software/Craps/Ads, etc...

Reactions: JakeXPMan
H

hjlbx

Thread author
I would like to see options in the Poll like
No Custom Install Option
Additional Software/Craps/Ads, etc...

I would have included it, but I think I used all the available fields.

Maybe I missed the option to add additional fields.

I know you are probably implying COMODO Geek Buddy, Yahoo, Chromodo install. :D

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I would have included it, but I think I used all the available fields.

Maybe I missed the option to add additional fields.

I know you are probably implying COMODO Geek Buddy, Yahoo, Chromodo install. :D
No I am not implying anything.

I do think all the products should have Custom Install Option & Bloat Free.
Option to not install the bloats but better not to have a bloated product.

C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Thread author
I chose the top 5 from the options list , all have to do with AVG ofcourse. ;) just like @frogboy : I am happy what with I use now : Norton Security!

Reactions: frogboy

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Nothing from this List. Its the privacy police from security vendors these days(exept some rare good ones). I realy hate how today nobody cares about there own privacy and that even some security vendors sell ur data for money. thats a no go and i will never ever use a "security software" with just a behavour. Sure,when u install windows it is hard to get some privacy, but when someone calls itself "security" they should not touch my privacy.

Iapepe

Level 10
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
1. Slows down system; heavy use of system resources.
2. Bugs: freezes, crashes
3. Learning how to configure for maximum security is difficult

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I voted for just 3 and here's my issues why,

Slows down system; heavy use of system resources (Is my PC stuck in the internet swamp or something ?)
Bugs; "malfunctions" of various types - e.g. freezes, crashes, feature failures, etc (Why is updates broke? Why the GUI is stuck on the screen!?)
Does not detect\block malware (Ransom! Help...)

*Not listed*
= Old hardware "CPU" not compatible with AV (Goodbye 4 now CIS)
= Support dropped for some AV's in XP (Goodbye 4 ever MSE)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I didn't vote for and why...

These either due sympathy for the product, or just not a factor for me.

~NOT A FACTOR~
Incompatible with other installed softs (These issues haven't effected me, that I'm aware of)
You report bugs, but they are not fixed (Bugs I never reported, I assume they'll eventually work these out in time)
Poor technical support (Never expected support for my antivirus even in the "paid" past)
Cannot\does not remove malware properly\completely (Never had this problem, thank gosh... when detected it goes into quarantine everytime! Avira + open candy = sacked) Avast/MSE/Norton + cowabanga, swwswe.exe etc = sacked)

~SYMPATHY~
GUI is not user-friendly (I like it better to be flooded with options and not be friendly (Avira/Comodo good guys)
Learning how to use\configure for maximum security is difficult\time intensive (Nooo this is good I like to learn, a good annoying)
Nagging doubts about ability to protect system (Anything could miss, why worry or blame?)

Hope this was as fun to read, as it was to type hehe :p :D

Reactions: Behold Eck
H

hjlbx

Thread author
I thing the best answer to this is: resources

But my actual dislike with Bitdefender is that this software doesn't notify me about viruses on my computer.

Bitdefender designed their softs to work this way in Auto Pilot mode.

The notification is in the message center or the blue dot on the desktop widget.

I find the way that Bitdefender opeates a bit odd, but I suppose it is because it was to designed to be as fully automated as possible.

Whatever... it is still good protection.

Reactions: Freakj

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Incompatible with other installed softs.

This used to really bug me especially when I had previously removed all traces of it.:mad::mad::mad:(If I remember right it was Forticlient reporting on MSE which was long gone).

Not a problem nowadays when using Sandboxie, HIPS/BB and occasional on demand scanners.:):):)

Regards Eck:)

Last edited:

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
My security configuration would look very different if I hadn't had issues with various software. The program I've had the most problems with is Comodo Internet Security. Great protection but each clean install became an increasingly lengthy and problematic nightmare until, despite following Chiron's clean install guide to the letter as usual, v8 wouldn't install at all and kept on causing BSOD's. Finally had to give up on CIS. Fairly happy with my Panda/ZoneAlarm combo but by choice it would be CIS. So I suppose this would come under a combination of compatibility issues and failure to uninstall properly.

Another thing that bugs me is the lengths you often have to go to to avoid the bundled c***ware, and the sneaky methods they often use to make this very difficult.

Last edited:

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
System slowdowns and low detection rates.. Multinational AV Vendors should get together and work/help each other so they release one single, almost-perfect software. So we don't have to choose comparing system impact, detection rates, real time protection level. I'm pretty sure if they get together, they'll do it. But of course, it's not a matter of who offers the best security suite, but who gets the most anual revenue.

Sandboxie Help

From Sandboxie
Verified
Developer
Feb 26, 2016
System slowdowns and low detection rates.. Multinational AV Vendors should get together and work/help each other so they release one single, almost-perfect software. So we don't have to choose comparing system impact, detection rates, real time protection level. I'm pretty sure if they get together, they'll do it. But of course, it's not a matter of who offers the best security suite, but who gets the most anual revenue.

You come to a point where virus IDs and signatures are statiscally impossible to improve. You may get to 90-95%, but then...that's it. You also have the limitation of that signature file you've downloaded. Normally, they are not ALL stored, as that would quickly consume your system.

The trend is moving towards machine learning, neural networks, deep computing etc. Not so much virus signatures, etc. That will never be perfect. but add this to it, then you're getting very close. Plus, it's extremely expensive for R&D and Engineering, etc. So the cost have to be recouped form somewhere. Lot of the R&D work comes from Government research, Analysis etc. Invincea products coming soon will be a game changer. It'll be aimed at the Enterprise first.

Reactions: Rishi and hjlbx
H

hjlbx

Thread author
You come to a point where virus IDs and signatures are statiscally impossible to improve. You may get to 90-95%, but then...that's it. You also have the limitation of that signature file you've downloaded. Normally, they are not ALL stored, as that would quickly consume your system.

The trend is moving towards machine learning, neural networks, deep computing etc. Not so much virus signatures, etc. That will never be perfect. but add this to it, then you're getting very close. Plus, it's extremely expensive for R&D and Engineering, etc. So the cost have to be recouped form somewhere. Lot of the R&D work comes from Government research, Analysis etc. Invincea products coming soon will be a game changer. It'll be aimed at the Enterprise first.

@Sandboxie Help - it sure would be nice if I could by only one (1) seat of Invincea Enterprise. Oh.... I understand...., but it would be really nice.

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015

I get your point, and i share it. My opinion wasn't fully focused on virus signatures, as what you mention is true. But i definitly was not thinking about neural networks, nor deep computing. My main idea was orientated on a single product with all the "required" modules that vary on different software, say Application Control, Sandbox, Firewall, Password Manager, SafePay, AntiPishing. Pretty much lot of times, at least myself, we like (for example) Kaspersky's Application Control, but we are not satisfied with the included firewall, so we must install a third party one and go with basic Antivirus edition of Kaspersky. It is known some specific antivirus have a great anti pishing module, but you won't just install it because of that specific module. That's what i meant at first. A single product with the best modules on every section of protection. Now if we talk about virus signatures, you're right.

And i'm searching about this Invincea products you're talking about. It seems interesting. Just found it it acquired Sandboxie in 2013.

Sandboxie Help

From Sandboxie
Verified
Developer
Feb 26, 2016
I get your point, and i share it. My opinion wasn't fully focused on virus signatures, as what you mention is true. But i definitly was not thinking about neural networks, nor deep computing. My main idea was orientated on a single product with all the "required" modules that vary on different software, say Application Control, Sandbox, Firewall, Password Manager, SafePay, AntiPishing. Pretty much lot of times, at least myself, we like (for example) Kaspersky's Application Control, but we are not satisfied with the included firewall, so we must install a third party one and go with basic Antivirus edition of Kaspersky. It is known some specific antivirus have a great anti pishing module, but you won't just install it because of that specific module. That's what i meant at first. A single product with the best modules on every section of protection. Now if we talk about virus signatures, you're right.

And i'm searching about this Invincea products you're talking about. It seems interesting. Just found it it acquired Sandboxie in 2013.

Of course, any first line of defense is with the end user...common sense..

The "All in one" products are good...would it be better to have more/best of the best..maybe, generally the All in One products can been overly intrusive..and at times cumbersome.

The "all in one" approach will always leave something out so that another part of the program is not in conflict, disabled, etc.

It's tough. You're probably better off going with smaller, more efficient target products for each vector you're looking to protect. AV, FW, etc. If you're containers, well...be default, your system is safe. But it's nice to know what may be in that container sandbox...and any A/V will suffice.

Firewall, one can simply use their own router functions along with Windows Firewall to be safe generally, or for more automated, user friendly approach, there are many good, free options there.

A/V (malware in general) We've done testing with A/V products that scan malware in our sandbox that has been collected- on purpose (by definition, sandboxie doesn't prevent/identify viruses, only contains them from reaching the host) , and more often than not, Windows Defender..saw them..and wanted to do remediation. Of course, that was not needed. Deleting the contents of the SB takes care of that.

Reactions: silversurfer

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.