Advice Request What Audio/Video Software Do You Use?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Hey @FireHammer - I forgot to list Audirvana in my "collection" of playback software :D Tidal and Qobuz sound very good when played back via Audirvana. And yeah i have an Apple Music subscription too. :geek:

Audio editors: Audacity, Magix Soundforge and Adobe Audition

• +Reputation
Reactions: Nevi and FireHammer

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hey @FireHammer - I forgot to list Audirvana in my "collection" of playback software :D Tidal and Qobuz sound very good when played back via Audirvana. And yeah i have an Apple Music subscription too. :geek:

Audio editors: Audacity, Magix Soundforge and Adobe Audition
Hey @RDD2 I can, I am sorry to say, not play Qobuz in Denmark, but Tidal is also brilliant in Audirvana, you should take Roon for a thirdy days testdrive it is very good, but expensive 120 USD.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Nevi and R2D2

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
@FireHammer yes both Tidal and Qobuz sound very good through Audirvana though I'd give the latter streaming service a slight edge when it comes to sound quality.
Tidal's proprietary MQA Master quality is not something I am very enthusiastic about. I prefer Qobuz's 24/192 or 24/96 kHz hi-res streaming. About Roon, I have my eye on that one too, but both the monthly and lifetime billing plan (at an eye watering $700!) make it an investment that'll have to wait. I hope to set up a Roon server in my home some day.

Reactions: Nevi

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
@FireHammer yes both Tidal and Qobuz sound very good through Audirvana though I'd give the latter streaming service a slight edge when it comes to sound quality.
Tidal's proprietary MQA Master quality is not something I am very enthusiastic about. I prefer Qobuz's 24/192 or 24/96 kHz hi-res streaming. About Roon, I have my eye on that one too, but both the monthly and lifetime billing plan (at an eye watering $700!) make it an investment that'll have to wait. I hope to set up a Roon server in my home some day.
OK, @R2D2 it was just a suggestion, no offense. I have gone with the annual plan, I don't have 700 USD, not to use on Roon anyway.

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hey @R2D2, Both Apple Music & Tidal has begun adding many good Quality Videos to their services.
and Deezer has a HiFi subscription, now it is just Spotify who will have to figure something out or they will loose many paying customers, what is your opinion?

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
OK, @R2D2 it was just a suggestion, no offense. I have gone with the annual plan, I don't have 700 USD, not to use on Roon anyway.

No offence taken bro. :) I need to save up to update my audio kit. Some components like my speakers are ancient.

Hey @R2D2, Both Apple Music & Tidal has begun adding many good Quality Videos to their services. and Deezer has a HiFi subscription, now it is just Spotify who will have to figure something out or they will loose many paying customers, what is your opinion?

I was hoping for Spotify to start a lossless streaming service but I don't believe their Management is listening. If Spotify were to start lossless streaming I'd probably rethink my Tidal and even Qobuz subscriptions.Oh BTW, Spotify just changed their audio codec to AAC @ 320 kbps when streaming via the app..for premium customers only. You can read the latest here - Spotify Audio Settings On paper this would seem better than Apple Music at 256 kbps AAC. I have a hard time telling 320k AAC and lossless streaming apart even via headphones but certain passages with lots of acoustic and mid to high frequency sounds does seem less 'jumbled' up and cleaner with lossless streaming services. I listen to multiple genres including Jazz, Pop Rock and even house.

As for videos I am not too concerned because I get my fill from the YT subscription. I'd rather Spotify concentrate on audio streaming.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Nevi and FireHammer

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hi, I also have Spotify Premium, it is a great service, And I agree if they go lossless then Tidal & Qobuz have some competition.

Last edited:
  • +Reputation
Reactions: Nevi and R2D2

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Music player: Winamp

Music rip: Audiograbber

Music/Video Data Burn: NERO

Video Players: VLC / PotPlayer

If anyone wants to challenge a better program for any task above, I am listening :) all but PotPlayer I been using for years and years.

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hi,
I use for Audio: Roon+Audirvana+Foobar+Aimp4+Mediamonkey 5 (beta).
For Streaming: Apple Music+Youtube Premium+Google Music+Deezer Hi-Fi & Tidal Hi-Fi.
For Video: VLC & Potplayer.:)

Reactions: Nevi and amirr

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
Music player: Winamp

Music rip: Audiograbber

Music/Video Data Burn: NERO

Video Players: VLC / PotPlayer

If anyone wants to challenge a better program for any task above, I am listening :) all but PotPlayer I been using for years and years.

People still do this? :)

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I don't watch online video nor stream music, occasionally I'll slap on the headphones and listen to some tunes I have on my computer, for that I use Windows Media player, part of my mantra now to try to use Microsoft/Windows 10 programs or accessories as much as possible. Very few 3rd party programs here to bug up things.

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
I was not precise in my last post:
Licensed for Audio: Roon & Audirvana+J River Media Center.
Free For Audio: Aimp4+Foobar2000+MediaMonkey 5 Beta+Dopamine+Winamp 5.8+VLC & MusicBee.
Free for Radio Streaming: CherryPlayer(the best, good quality).
Free for Video: VLC & PotPlayer.
Streaming Services: Apple Music(Itunes)+Tidal Hi-Fi+Deezer Hi-Fi+Spotify Premium & Youtube Premium. :)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
VLC has worked for me for years as my PC media player, MediaMonkey is my long-term audio file organiser and Audacity my long time friend for audio editing. I've tried lots of alternatives but keep returning to these three trusted tools.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.