What AV/Security program does your ISP provide?

BigWrench

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Was curious as to "who's using what"...
What does your ISP provide with your internet service????
Do you use it? do you like it?

Here in Michigan, Spectrum, F Secure. I like it a lot, however I don't use it.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Kind of jealous.

Xfinity (my previous ISP) gave me Norton, which started out as great. But now, the newer XFINITY branded Nortons have a weirder and weirder activation scheme and sometimes I go home to find my parents' machine's Norton randomly deactivated because it wants me to sign into their Comcast account again to re-verify activation. I have nothing against the Norton product itself, but the way Xfinity manages activation makes it not set-it-and-forget-it.

Right now, I'm on AT&T fiber and they provide an AT&T branded McAfee. Never tried it.... I heard McAfee got better recently but it's hard for me to get over their iffy last 10 years....

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
Kind of jealous.

Xfinity (my previous ISP) gave me Norton, which started out as great. But now, the newer XFINITY branded Nortons have a weirder and weirder activation scheme and sometimes I go home to find my parents' machine's Norton randomly deactivated because it wants me to sign into their Comcast account again to re-verify activation. I have nothing against the Norton product itself, but the way Xfinity manages activation makes it not set-it-and-forget-it.

Right now, I'm on AT&T fiber and they provide an AT&T branded McAfee. Never tried it.... I heard McAfee got better recently but it's hard for me to get over their iffy last 10 years....
MY ISP provides F secure as well....... but my parents have comcast and they provide norton as well. I cant say that they have had the same issues as you. It has never deactivated on them they have used it since they day they dropped mcafee and switched to norton. i would contact comcast and figure out why it's doing that. Norton also offers support for comcast users it should NOT be deactivating itself... maybe the autofix tool will help?

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I’m also in Comcast/xfinity land. I’ve never tried their branded Norton for the exact reason @MacDefender pointed out. It’s unclear what version it is, and the activation is cumbersome. Also, when they first started offering it was before Norton made a come back in terms of system performance. I’ll probably never use it because it seems like a pain in the tail to manage.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
MY ISP provides F secure as well....... but my parents have comcast and they provide norton as well. I cant say that they have had the same issues as you. It has never deactivated on them they have used it since they day they dropped mcafee and switched to norton. i would contact comcast and figure out why it's doing that. Norton also offers support for comcast users it should NOT be deactivating itself... maybe the autofix tool will help?

Yeah at some point I might give it another shot. I think it might be from them calling Comcast and switching plans for better prices, but I'm not 100% sure. Since I am only home for about a week twice a year, calling Comcast wasn't something on my priority list. I've replaced them with Emsisoft because of the remote cloud management UI and am pretty happy with that.

Yeah honestly if it weren't so easy to find $20-30 annual norton licenses, I would try harder with the Comcast edition.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Here we have two main ISP which I keep changing to. The first one, Hadara offers Bitdefender Internet Security $9.99/device/year. The second is Mada which offers Eset Internet Security for free for the first subscription cycle (if you subscribed to three months, you get three months of EIS).

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
I’m also in Comcast/xfinity land. I’ve never tried their branded Norton for the exact reason @MacDefender pointed out. It’s unclear what version it is, and the activation is cumbersome. Also, when they first started offering it was before Norton made a come back in terms of system performance. I’ll probably never use it because it seems like a pain in the tail to manage.
They use the same version norton as the paid products... version numbers in online security match... that of other norton products. MY parents never had a problem with it the program has never let them down.

Last edited:

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
norton. i use it on one of my computers. the file reputation scan is very useful. they have vast resources to accumulate a large database on all the worlds files, and they have millions of users. so when my boys want a new Minecraft mod, i can scan it with the file reputation scanner, and it will tell me the file is used by a hundred thousand Norton users, was made 2 years ago, and has been verified to be safe, based on that data, and their analysis over that time frame. very handy for mods, which can easily be sketchy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.