King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I really like avast! but I have a free keycode for Webroot from Broncos (for 6 months). I removed avast! and installed Webroot, but I don't know if Webroot is a better AV than avast!. If you were in my shoes what would you choose, avast! or Webroot?

Thanks guys!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@King Mellow, similarly to what you accomplished by deciding to go with Windows 8.1, once you'd chosen (and even after changing your directions later):confused: there needed to be no regrets.:rolleyes: Just as stepping out into the uncertain nature of internet space brings us up against malware :eek:"In The Wild", the rewards are well worth the risks of exploring something new; and isn't this the reason why we're here together on MT,:cool: to catch each other if/when we fall..?;)
I'll quote Littlebits, "Enjoy! :D".

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Webroot is really good! it's pretty light (maybe the lightest among the others) and they indeed provide a good protection too.
At first I had a doubt about the product and keep saying to my self "how an Av such a cloud AV can protect my PC? how about the protection when I'm offline?" and the good thing is, and I read from WSA that even when WSA can keep you save once you online, doubt it? I do! then I was test it by my self, I turn my SD on, disconnect from internet, then run a malicious file, nothing happened...no warning, no pop up, no such a thing, however once I plug in my cable (internet) suddenly WSA pop up and saying that they caught a malicious file :D. WSA convinced me since then :)

And the best thing is, WSA is compatible with almost everyr AV even both real time protection is turned on. And not only that, WSA firewall even compatible with windows one ;)
Just test it by your self. Mr Umbra from Umbra corp made a good guide about WSA

http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-wsa-works.11871/

http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-setup-webroot-sa-alongside-another-antivirus.8851/

One thing to note is, WSA detection rate isn't really good as like traditional AV ( it's not important for me since I surf web on safe zone), but it's prevention is really good! if you are worried about detection rate, you can always use another Av to work along with WSA :)

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014

Google what you ask about webroot & you'll see:)

How Would Webroot Clean Ransomware?
Options

‎08-18-2013 04:30 AM

This is just a hypothetical question that an IT guy posed to me at work when I told him I was using Webroot to protect my home PC.

Can someone with a good knowledge of Webroot explain how it would clean up a piece of nasty ransomware that it didn't catch and let slip by? For argument's sake, assume that the ransomware has locked up the PC and the Webroot GUI cannot be accessed.

My thinking is that Webroot will eventually identify the ransomware on its own (working in the background via the cloud while the PC is locked up) and clean up the infection automatically. Is that correct?

Re: How Would Webroot Clean Ransomware?
[ Edited ]
Options

‎08-18-2013 08:47 AM - edited ‎08-18-2013 09:01 AM

1.) WSA is not like other solutions. It journals and monitors suspicious processes. So while it may let the program run temporarily, once the system is sure of its diagnosis, it can roll back pretty much all the changes to the PC it made.

2.) WSA reports its findings and current status to their servers. If you contact Webroot support they can look at what your PC has reported, mark it as bad, and the next time WSA checks in with the servers it will remove it. As a business customer, I have this ability as well. I have done this exact procedure where I review suspicious files reported, marked them as bad, and 15 minutes later WSA removed the infection. Pretty neato.

3.) Webroot support to remove viruses that make it past protections is free, so you should open a support case or give them a call. In the meantime I would leave the computer off until you hear back from them.

You can find information about contacting them here:

Last edited:

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
i choose Trust Port.because have AVG and BitDefender engine.Trust Port IS will install Trust Port usb anti virus in your protable drive.:)
the price of Trust Port is lower than two.
i agree with multi engine av ;-)
like trust port,like baidu,qihoo.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Google what you ask about webroot & you'll see:)

How Would Webroot Clean Ransomware?
Options

‎08-18-2013 04:30 AM

This is just a hypothetical question that an IT guy posed to me at work when I told him I was using Webroot to protect my home PC.

Can someone with a good knowledge of Webroot explain how it would clean up a piece of nasty ransomware that it didn't catch and let slip by? For argument's sake, assume that the ransomware has locked up the PC and the Webroot GUI cannot be accessed.

My thinking is that Webroot will eventually identify the ransomware on its own (working in the background via the cloud while the PC is locked up) and clean up the infection automatically. Is that correct?

Re: How Would Webroot Clean Ransomware?
[ Edited ]
Options

‎08-18-2013 08:47 AM - edited ‎08-18-2013 09:01 AM

1.) WSA is not like other solutions. It journals and monitors suspicious processes. So while it may let the program run temporarily, once the system is sure of its diagnosis, it can roll back pretty much all the changes to the PC it made.

2.) WSA reports its findings and current status to their servers. If you contact Webroot support they can look at what your PC has reported, mark it as bad, and the next time WSA checks in with the servers it will remove it. As a business customer, I have this ability as well. I have done this exact procedure where I review suspicious files reported, marked them as bad, and 15 minutes later WSA removed the infection. Pretty neato.

3.) Webroot support to remove viruses that make it past protections is free, so you should open a support case or give them a call. In the meantime I would leave the computer off until you hear back from them.

You can find information about contacting them here:
I want a real world test that webroot rollback ransomware threats. Put it against toughest ransomware samples. If u have any video regarding this then post me link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.