What can I use with MS Edge to block malicious websites?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Malwarebytes Antimalware in your current setup itself has a web blocking module(it is certainly useful with Tor). But if you want purely browser based security you could try addons like Bitdefender Trafficlight.
upload_2016-1-12_1-58-32.png

Or use a secure Dns, I am using DnsJumper(portable) to change Dns according to my needs- fastest,secure or family safe.
upload_2016-1-12_2-2-0.png

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Malwarebytes Antimalware in your current setup itself has a web blocking module(it is certainly useful with Tor). But if you purely browser based security you could try addons like Bitdefender Trafficlight.
View attachment 80227

Or use a secure Dns, I am using DnsJumper(portable to change Dns according to my needs- fastest,secure or family safe.
View attachment 80228
I can't use BD TrafficLight because I'm using Edge, Norton ConnectSafe looks good but...

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
DNS is basically a service resolving numeric IP addresses to user-readable website domains. Secure DNS just discard the malicious IP.
DNS is exactly what @Rishi explained here! Couldn't have said it better myself. :p

DNS is an excellent solution for website blocking, plus in most cases it has extra features.
Here are the top free DNS services which also provide malicious hostname blocking:
Norton ConnectSafe
Comodo Secure DNS
OpenDNS

If you do not want to use a DNS service with malware blocking features, then I would recommend something in the lines of Adguard, PeerBlock or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium for this task.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Changed Title to reflect reference to Microsoft Edge.

You are already using Smartscreen, unless you disabled it. Avoiding Phishing and Malicious sites takes practice, so better brush up on those skills. If a site doesn't look right, leave.

For paranoid users, browse in a sandbox.

Alternatively you could use desktop-based software, or a DNS by changing your Internet settings.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Another way- can use secured Hosts file edited for the purpose of blocking malware content(caution: backup your original hosts file before trying) refer: How Effective is Blocking Websites using HOSTS file?
and MVPS hosts
Note that the hosts file doesn't contain any crucial entries anymore (localhost resolution in Windows 7 and above is natively handled by the DNS itself, so the entries matching the hostname localhost to 127.0.0.1 are redundant), however it still is a good idea to back it up.

Also note that there has been some controversy regarding Microsoft hostnames (e.g. telemetry) not being "blocked" by the hosts file, even when they are properly added to it.

Reactions: Hangtooth

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
localhost resolution in Windows 7 and above is natively handled by the DNS itself, so the entries matching the hostname localhost to 127.0.0.1 are redundant
I agree but as the OP is not comfortable with secure DNS , it's better to hardcode Hosts and then let the ISP DNS take over.Also,the microsoft's telemetry built into windows code, unlike a simple DNS query based access.
Stop Windows 10 From Spying On You? 36 DNS Addresses to host file.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hangtooth
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.