What did you do after finding Ccleaner v5.33 was malware bundled?

What did you do after finding Ccleaner v5.33 was malware bundled?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Didn't have the infected version so there was not much to do.
My dad, on the other hand, had that infected 32-bit version on his system where he had been using only admin account, didn't have any restore point saved and never made system image. o_O
During a visit, I did format and fresh install with SUA to use on daily basis and made a clean system image for him to have.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Didn't have the infected version so there was not much to do.
My dad, on the other hand, had that infected 32-bit version on his system where he had been using only admin account, didn't have any restore point saved and never made system image. o_O
During a visit, I did format and fresh install with SUA to use on daily basis and made a clean system image for him to have.
You've done the best thing in that situation ;)

Yoda

Level 3
Verified
Jul 26, 2017
Although I had the malicious version in one of my PCs I did all possible scans (both with antiviruses and manual) and I found no infections.
Perhaps because I am using the portable versions.
I will keep using CCleaner, as it is a nice tool.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Weebarra, yes. Every device is destroyed anyway after 60 days. Every employ change 6 time a year laptop, smartphone, and every device. I personally have agreement with manufactor and so the price of 3 unit is the price of one.

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
"Others". I don't use or need "optimisers" since the lack of results in W98--which, I must admit, was probably un-optimiseable anyway!

Reactions: frogboy

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Uninstalled ccleaner (portable)
tested ashampoo win opimizer 2017....mmh very deep scan with some tweaks which can make some problems for a stable system (my opinion)
tested wise disk cleaner....very good.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

:)Hey, I did not get hit because both my systems(8.1+10 home)is 64 bit, so I purchased the Ccleaner professional plus package, and I do not regret it.
You get Ccleaner, Defraggler, Recuva and Speccy, all professional versions.:cool:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
I dont have ccleaner but if i would get infected i will do definity rollback..
I made too much test in malware-lab and even antivirus with this malware in database dont clean fully system from it.
But we have take care if infection can atack some part of PC like Mobo(bios) or GPU(memory) and after format can jump again on your system... some virus are rly f*** annoying and hard to delete.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I just update to the latest version of ccleaner once I heard about the Malware. CCleaner was blocked from internet access so I should be safe. Ran 2 or 3 scans with different AV and nothing turns up.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I had an older version of CCleaner and 64 bit. So wasn't infected. But now I made Wise Cleaner my main cleaner. Still using CCleaner but portable version now.

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
To those who may believe portable or slim version may not have been affected, this from Piriform blog:

"Is the Pro or slim affected"

Any version with the number 5.33.6162 is affected. This includes Free, Slim, Portable, Pro, Business and Technician Edition.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.