Advice Request What do you want to see in Windows 8?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What do you want to see in Windows 8?

Join in and share your ideas.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
I would like to see UAC becoming a HIPS or Behaviour Blocker and maybe having better looking prompts.
With a cloud version of MSE built in to UAC so you can scan for viruses.
I want a sandbox built in to Windows.
I want the UAC to have a 'Sandbox' button in case you don't know what to answer.
I want a virtual machine gun to appear every time the OS BSODs, so you can take out your anger on it.
Maybe a program snapshot software built in so that you can restore your program's state to just before a BSOD.
Maybe a Safe Desktop prompt for any program that is about to do something that would cause a BSOD so that you can terminate it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since I really like themes, they must built their own dock style which it can really interesting even they leaked the aero lite UI.

G

Guest28

elliotcroft has it all down from what i can think of i would love to see it's own sandbox :p 2+ rep :)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I would like to see UAC becoming a HIPS or Behaviour Blocker and maybe having better looking prompts
It will never happen. People are complaining about the current amount of prompts. IMO, the problem is that they are much too used to an insecure operating system.
I want the UAC to have a 'Sandbox' button in case you don't know what to answer.
That sounds interesting.
Maybe a Safe Desktop prompt for any program that is about to do something that would cause a BSOD so that you can terminate it.
You can't predict a program error.

I would like to see a default non-admin account.
A Windows version re-written from scratch with security in mind, where drivers and the kernel are not on the same level...probably it will never happen since Microsoft needs to keep backwards compatibility. All they can do is add security features to a somewhat insecure platform.

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
@Bogdan
I don't think they are used to an unsecured OS, in fact they really don't know what secured means. They want an intuitive OS that does almost all the job leaving them the pleasure to watch a movie, browse the web, social communication, and so on.
I thin they are stuck on ideas and will fail with next version. 3D ,2D ,cloud ,128 BIT ,i hear many promises but i'm not seeing to many people upgrading their PC just to see a 3D movie or have some enhanced windows theme. They need stability, security, speed. Those 3 will make the next users think twice before they buy an Windows OS redesigned with Swarovsky crystals.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
ellitocroft...................HIPS is not user friendly and a sandbox program does not work properly on a 64 bit OS due to kernal patch protection. Jamescv7...................NO dock needed. Thats what the Superbar is for.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
More eye candy = more power. So if you want more eye candy from your OS then you better be able to dish out so heavy cash for a core i7 with 12GB of ram. Doesnt anyone have any realistic wishes for Windows 8? The only feature I would like to see is complete "reset to default" setting without loosing current data. So suppose you were tweaking Windows or deleted a needed registry key. Or you were playing around with themes,wallpaper and sounds and cannot remember what you changed to get back to the default state. Simply open up the control panel under admin rights and click on "Windows Default".

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
HA, "core i7 with 12GB of ram" already running it now, bring on the eye candy!!!

Ok seriously, pretty much have to agree with elliot as those are some very nice wish-list items, I like the idea of portable apps a great deal and if MS could devise a way in which to lessen the scattering of files all over and have things a bit more consolidated I would be a bit happier, I liked when they moved everything in Vista and 7 into a Personal Folder, if they could implement a driver backup option like they added partitioning that would be nice although with a system image not really needed. Just polish 7 a bit and it'll all work out well.

eXPerience

Level 1
Mar 7, 2011
Smaller and faster, that's all I want to see. There are already so many features 99% of the users don't use, there is no need to add more of them.

eXp

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
New Windows OS-s will always add more bloat (or useful features for some), this is as certain as saying that prices will always go higher, new hardware will outperform old one, etc. As for the features, you now have different versions to choose from (Home, Pro, Ultimate, etc.). :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
elliotcroft said:
Maybe a program snapshot software built in so that you can restore your program's state to just before a BSOD.

Well a good idea but system restore and restore original factory settings will be probably enough but who knows.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The bloat from Vista actually disappeared in 7, but was still available from Windows Live Essentials.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
My absolute number one wish for windows 8 is virtual desktops. OS X and linux has had it for ages and it really gives a better overview.

Other then that i am pretty happy with windows as is, however if they could create an interface as smooth as iOS i surely wouldn't complain. :)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
See:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Windows-8-App-Blacklisting-Mechanism-Is-Real

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Dieselman said:
ellitocroft...................HIPS is not user friendly and a sandbox program does not work
Microsoft could integrate their own OS as deeply as they like due to it being an integrated feature.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
A built-in sandbox sounds interesting like eliotcroft said. I don't know really what else, maybe they should add quicker ways to get to places (like the folder options).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.