Solved What is "Domain Name" in a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
My ISP's router is basic with a few settings. I want to use a DNS with adult content blocking on the router. It asks me to fill out the "Domain Name" field when I change DNS. The domain name field is empty with the default DNS. I can change DNS by filling in any name in the domain name, and the internet works fine. If I want to go back to default DNS, it asks for a domain name and works by filling in any name. But I reset the router to factory settings to have default DNS with the domain name field empty, as it originally came with.

What is "Domain Name" in a router, and can I use any name in the domain name field for DNS? Is it safe to use any name in the domain name field?

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
It is probably just a label you can assign to remind yourself which DNS server you are using. Maybe the DNS IP 8.8.8.8 could be labled 'Google DNS'
It seems you are correct, as the internet works fine with any name in the field. The info link on the router page says, "Domain Name: Enter the name of the Domain which is unique."

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.