Advice Request What is opinion on SpywareBlaster? Pro's and Con's?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starchild76

I do use spywareblaster for a few years now , and I do not have any problems with it. some people do prefer hostman for this taks , because they say its more effctive than spywareblaster.

Reactions: Cowpipe

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
I had the app a while back. It offers no info as to what its blocking or even if its working. I uninstalled it.

Reactions: Cowpipe

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I used this like 3 years ago... I had no idea what it did at alll.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Rather basic protection, tries to stop browser hijackers from doing their thing, eg, stopping unwanted bhos, active x installations etc. Won't protect you against exploits or rootkits or for that matter anything physically replacing browser dlls or injecting into the process itself.

Doesn't do any harm to have it installed but there are much better protections available and the interface is really basic, for people who don't know dll from cnn ;)

Reactions: starchild76

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
For exploits, I am using Malwarebtyes Anti-Exploit Premium.
I really like this software,it is very quiet!;)
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/premium/

Thanks for the link, I'll have to give that a try myself, especially as several people on here have said good things about it :) Doesn't appear to protect against the more obscure legacy exploits though, do people still exploit the likes of WMF, Quicktime etc (on older unpatched OS), but then again, why would it. If you're silly enough to be using out of date unpatched versions of those software no anti-exploit protection will be able to help you, except maybe a virtual machine, in which case it will just be like a bad dream that you can reboot and wake up from gasping and panting (and hopefully googling for hotfixes and patches)...

Apologies I'm rambling, thanks for the link anyway :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.