What is "reality"?

Brye

Jan 24, 2020
This is a good discussion considering the direction things are going in the world. You could say a lot about this topic but I think it's better to keep it simple.

Reality is seeing things as they really are. It's the truth, the objective truth.

All of us are human, and we have basic needs. We will die one day. This is simply the truth, the reality. Many people don't see the reality. They don't see things as they really are. There are many reasons for this. Some go deeper than others. The main problem is when we choose to reject reality. A lot of people do this without realizing it. They are not aware that they are rejecting reality. It takes self reflection and humility to see things as they really are. It can be painful to deal with reality, but it is very rewarding in the end because you know you are living in the truth. You are free from self deception.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Our senses are quite limited. Just look around the animal kingdom, bees can see further in the light spectrum, dogs can hear sounds beyond our own capability, other animals have senes we don't. We can't even say what else we're unable to sense due to limitations of our senses. So defining reality by our senses is, at best, an incomplete definition.

The same goes for solid matter. It may be real but does not explain reality.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Reality is what you perceive with your senses. nothing less, nothing more; but it doesn't mean that what your perceive is all that exist.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Hallucinations and illusions subvert this definition much less subjective experiences.
But for those victim of such thing, they are real. Some people kills others because of hallucinations, to them the threat is real.

How can i prove the reality i am actually in, at that exact instant, replying in this forum, is real?
Maybe it is a dream world generated by my brain and im in a coma, could be a computer generated world as the Matrix, or maybe it is my own version of afterlife and you are just a figment of my own making replying to me to make this reality credible.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
But for those victim of such thing, they are real. Some people kills others because of hallucinations, to them the threat is real.

How can i prove the reality i am actually in, at that exact instant, replying in this forum, is real?
Maybe it is a dream world generated by my brain and im in a coma, could be a computer generated world as the Matrix, or maybe it is my own version of afterlife and you are just a figment of my own making replying to me to make this reality credible.

We can't even prove something we're both seeing is the same... If you're beside me and I say the wall is red there is no way I can prove that what you perceive as "red" is the same i do. Even physiological differences in your eye receptors could mean you're perceiving a slightly different color than I am.

Last edited:

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
We can't even prove something we're both seeing is the same... If you're beside me and I say the wall is red there is no way I can prove that what yo perceive as "red" is the same i do. Even physiological differences in your eye receptors could mean you're perceiving a slightly different color than I am.
Colour blindness could be a factor.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
If you were to encounter an exact duplicate of yourself that shared the same memories, aspirations and emotions as you, which one is the original? You or the duplicate?

That's often a topic in Sci-fi. if i download a full copy of my memories and even a full copy of my synaptic configuration into a clone and then die is it a copy or is it me? Am I still alive or is it just a person who thinks it's me? What defines "ME"?

Before someone asks, my personal position is that it's a copy. I am dead.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Reality is seeing things as they really are.
Is there any reality without creatures that can "see things"?

It's the truth, the objective truth.
Is the equation 2=2 a part of reality?

It takes self reflection and humility to see things as they really are. It can be painful to deal with reality, but it is very rewarding in the end because you know you are living in the truth. You are free from self deception.
What if another person will take self-reflection and humility, and will see something else? Which reality will be better? For example, two brothers can see their mother very differently as a true person.(y)

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Reality is what you perceive with your senses. nothing less, nothing more;
So, my reality is different from yours. If so, then there is no one Universal reality, but only subjective realities. Any such reality disappears when the person dies.

but it doesn't mean that what your perceive is all that exist.
Do exist something that you cannot perceive and it is real?
If so then it should be a part of reality and your definition is wrong.
If not, then anything you do not perceive is not real. Before your birth, everything was not real.

Reactions: plat and mlnevese

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

This is a consistent meaning of reality. It is close to the known (in philosophy) idea of Solipsism.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If you were to encounter an exact duplicate of yourself that shared the same memories, aspirations and emotions as you, which one is the original? You or the duplicate?
No problem. The duplicate is only a creation of Umbra's mind.
The duplicate is real in the Umbra's sense, but it is not Umbra.(y)
Umbra can also take advantage of Quantum Mechanics which excludes the possibility of making a perfect copy of the quantum state.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

So, my reality is different from yours. If so, then there is no one Universal reality, but only subjective realities. Any such reality disappears when the person dies.
Do exist something that you cannot perceive and it is real?
If so then it should be a part of reality and your definition is wrong.
If not, then anything you do not perceive is not real. Before your birth, everything was not real.
Or picture your reality as a bubble, your whole "universe" is inside a bubble created by your brain (or Soul?). maybe even your body is a creation of your brain/soul.
Now say you cannot perceive anything outside your "bubble", does it mean that other bubbles from other beings couldn't exist?

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
My definition: reality is matter (and anti-matter). Everything below and beyond the atom particle.
And all that is described in the Bible.
So, God is not a part of reality, because He is not material.
Your definition is close to the known (in philosophy) idea of Materialism, which evolved into the idea of Physicalism.
Materialists deny the existence of God(s).

Edit.
If you believe in God, then you can still be a kind of physicalist (like many physicists). You can say that there is "nothing over and above" the physical, except God. Simply, if God created the real world, then He cannot be a part of it.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Or picture your reality as a bubble, your whole "universe" is inside a bubble created by your brain (or Soul?). maybe even your body is a creation of your brain/soul.
Now say you cannot perceive anything outside your "bubble", does it mean that other bubbles from other beings couldn't exist?
Of course, they can "exist". Although, this will be the same for you as they will not exist, at all. So, why do you bother to think of them?(y)
Anyway, something can be wrong with your definition, because it seems that I can interact with your bubble (but I cannot prove it).:)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
because i will break the barrier of my reality and enslave the others then i will ascend to a state where i am the Alpha and the Omega, progenitor and bringer of doom of all realities. :p
If so, then your bubbles are not true isolated bubbles, but rather the cages for your slaves. :)

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Edit.
If you believe in God, then you can still be a kind of physicalist (like many physicists). You can say that there is "nothing over and above" the physical, except God. Simply, if God created the real world, then He cannot be a part of it.
Surely, I think...Very good definition too.

Edit:
So God are from anti-matter, all Angels and souls of the deceaded are from antimatter or another fluid which is not matter?
We have right hand and left hand, matter and anti-matter, maybe the souls of dead people and animals exist in another state of matter, which is a mirror image of matter, but not "antimatter"?
...beyond our side of the black hole,on the other side of black hole...o_O
hmmm antimatter is matter but with negative energy, mass, all properties are negative of matter...
But from the point of view of antimatter, it is matter that has the negative properties...
Antimatter mysteries: The five greatest mysteries of antimatter

Off-topic: Gravity causes matter to fall, so antimatter has to float higher and higher cause gravity... ...or do I invent the power engine of the future?
You may not right mouse click this page Vibr200.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.