Advice Request What is the best backup schedule for Macrium ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I have recently installed the paid version of Macrium Reflect Home. My intention is to use it as a quick recovery tool, similar to Rollback RX.

My Windows drive is an internal SSD and the Macrium Images will be saved to a separate SSD.

As with Rollback RX, I have set Macrium to create an image every time I log in to Windows. This creates images every day, sometimes several images. However, most of the time I wouldn't be moving many files around the drive or making many changes.

My question is what is the best backup schedule to use in order to use Macrium a bit like Rollback RX ? I like the idea of being able to perform system restores quickly and would like to keep at least 14 days of images if possible.

Out of the various options "incrementals forever" seems like it may do the job I want, but I understand this involves slower restores.

Reactions: Stopspying

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
I am using the free version and i set my backup setting like this:
1 full backup
3 differentials
The schedule work with differentials every day.
If i was with paid one i would replace the differentials with incrementals.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
I have recently installed the paid version of Macrium Reflect Home. My intention is to use it as a quick recovery tool, similar to Rollback RX.

My question is what is the best backup schedule to use in order to use Macrium a bit like Rollback RX ? I like the idea of being able to perform system restores quickly and would like to keep at least 14 days of images if possible. Out of the various options "incrementals forever" seems like it may do the job I want, but I understand this involves slower restores.

I have been using MR since 2012 and this is how I have set up disk backups on my main home PC

a) Full Image of my boot drive weekly
b) Incremental backups 4 times a day starting 10:30 am through 10:30 pm, an average of every 3 hours.c
c) Retention is set to 14 days for the full backup and its set of incremental images. I do this to save disk space on the local drive

For more frequent and data only backups I use Bvckup (yeah, that's how it's spelt) that synchronizes my most-used folders to an external USB3 drive and a NAS. Bvckup can be set to backup in real-time i.e. on detecting changes. It can also use VSS to backup locked files or files that are in use.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.