What is the best site to download SAFE free software from?

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Usually I use Majorgeeks and Softpedia but definitely the official site is one of the best options.
Software containers are useful if you are looking for a software without having a certainty, and if/when you find it, you proceed with the download directly from that site.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
What is the best site to download SAFE free software from, I'd like to try GIMP image editing but I don't want to download a load of nasties with it
@tim one touched on it as did many others, in terms of safety it is far safer to DL your free software from the publishers or developers site.
There is and most likely will be for the foreseeable future, a increased risk of tampering when downloading from 3rd party sites.
Avoid them unless there exists no better option, and in that case, sandbox and or make sure the installer is clean "before"
running it or allowing it out of a secure environment.
Good luck :)

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Didn't see it mentioned yet, but checking the file hash (if available) is a good way to verify a file, especially if you get the download from a 3rd party site rather than the official developer.

A good utility for this is "HashMyFiles" HashMyFiles: Calculate MD5/SHA1/CRC32 hash of files
HashMyFiles is small utility that allows you to calculate the MD5 and
SHA1 hashes of one or more files in your system. You can easily copy the
MD5/SHA1 hashes list into the clipboard, or save them into text/html/xml
file.
HashMyFiles can also be launched from the context menu of Windows
Explorer, and display the MD5/SHA1 hashes of the selected file or folder.

It does MD5, SHA1, CRC32, SHA-256, SHA-512, and SHA-384. The description on the site is older, and doesn't list all of the hashes available in the latest version (v2.23).

And it is portable, no install required.

I especially like the Windows explorer context menu items that are optional in the settings (good to use from your download folder)!!!
1. open in HashMyFiles
2. open in VirusTotal website

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.