What is the best virtualization product?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Shadow Defender works totally differently than Sandboxie. They are both great programs, but make sure you understand what they do before you start using them.
Shadow Defender will return your entire system, after every reboot to the state it was before, erasing all changes, both good ones and bad ones.
Sandboxie controls specific apps, most notably, the default browser.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
You can use Sandboxie to virtualize your browser, and even other apps too.
That is the easiest way to start working with virtualization. There is a free version.

I forget, please remind me. Does current sandboxie run with chrome, or no need?

Reactions: bribon77

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
Hyper-V if you have Windows 10 Pro :p

If you don't have W10 Pro, then you can go to something free like VirtualBox.

Reactions: simmerskool

Many people recommended I use virtualization for my new set up. What products do you recommend?

Which products to recommend depends upon what and why you wish to virtualize:

A. Malware testing - Virtual Box (free) or VMWare Workstation Pro (paid)
B. Whole disk - Shadow Defender (paid)
C. Application - Sandboxie (paid)

Virtualization is not without its quirks. You will figure out what works best for you personally on your specific system(s) by doing.

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014

Virtualization is not without its quirks. You will figure out what works best for you personally on your specific system(s) by doing.

Why not include Hyper-V on the "paid" version of your hypervisors list? There's many people using W10 Pro, so I see no need to pay for VMWare Workstation.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Why not include Hyper-V on the "paid" version of your hypervisors list? There's many people using W10 Pro, so I see no need to pay for VMWare Workstation.

Because a lot of people find Hyper-V to be a pain. Based upon how the OP phrased their question, I don't think he\she is interested in the configuration, tweaking and rigmarole of Hyper-V. I could be wrong though. I personally never bother with Hyper-V after some initial frustrating experiences with it. The VM softs are more convenient as they are fairly automated, come with the support needed for most VMs to run smoothly and the learning curve isn't too steep for new or typical users.

The OP doesn't even really know about virtualization products so it is pretty obvious that they wouldn't know what they'd be getting themselves into with Hyper-V.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

+1, this post sums it all. and shadow defender protect the MBR, important thing those days.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.