What is the Great Firewall of China and why you should care

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
I always knew that there is censorship in China, but never I expect it to be so deeply integrated in their culture. It's sad to see what happens in the world and what is going to happen with web in the future.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Russia also has its own firewall

Other countries also have firewall to block content to certain extent

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Do you know the policy of 'isolated country'?
I believe the Great Firewall idea aims to be a secluded country in the digital world. On that premise, the peaceful development of the country is advantageous. The disadvantage is that it can lead to loss of coordination with other countries.

It is a very interesting topic related to the history of East Asian countries.
Japan has a history of implementing "national isolation" policies in the past. All but part of the deal was blocked. The policy was really like a firewall. Similarly, there was a time in ancient China when access to foreign countries was prohibited. I don't think it's that strange that a country with such a history could come up with the idea of a Great Firewall.

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Russia also has its own firewall

Other countries also have firewall to block content to certain extent

Yeah. They recently started blocking Tor and it seems to be somehow successful.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.