What is the safest distro linux?

divinenews

Level 1
Jun 26, 2012
This is all new to me and I don't want to have to use Windows 10. I love Windows 7 and hate to give it up. I understand from reading that I can mount a Linux operating system on top of Windows 7 or any version of windows. Does anyone here know if this is true? Also, if I reformat my disk, can I load one of the Linux distros onto it without first installing windows. Can anyone point me to where I can get started learning all this?

Thank you for your help.
divinenews,
aka Elijah Gale

Reactions: DDE_Server

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
All Linux distributions are safer than Windows, although there is nothing bulletproof. To start using Linux would be those based on Debian for example Ubuntu or Linux mint, although the latter is based on Ubuntu because I recommend these distributions, just because there is more information on the network.
Another highly recommended is MX Linux, I am using it.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
This is all new to me and I don't want to have to use Windows 10. I love Windows 7 and hate to give it up. I understand from reading that I can mount a Linux operating system on top of Windows 7 or any version of windows. Does anyone here know if this is true? Also, if I reformat my disk, can I load one of the Linux distros onto it without first installing windows. Can anyone point me to where I can get started learning all this?

Thank you for your help.
divinenews,
aka Elijah Gale
What you call "mounting" is usually called running a virtual machine. Yes, you can do it, but is not the recommended way to go about your daily computer tasks, because it is more complicated than necessary, and uses a lot of computer resources.

As for installing Linux on your hard disk, yes, you almost certainly can do it, because almost all computers capable of running Windows are capable of running Linux.
But here I must gently disagree with our dear colleague @Lenny_Linux, and recommend that you not choose Manjaro as your first Linux distro. People often recommend Linux Mint as a good place to start, and I tend to agree with that.

By the way, you don't have to choose between Windows and Linux. You can set up a dual-boot, which means that you can choose which operating system you want to use at any particular time. However, dual-boot can be fickle to set up, and sometimes you need to fix the boot mechanism, too. So try to avoid it if possible.

PS If you are just concerned about security, there is plenty of advice on this forum on how to make Windows 10 more secure. Most people have other reasons for switching to Linux.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I understand from reading that I can mount a Linux operating system on top of Windows 7 or any version of windows.
This is by using a Virtual Machine (VM) , you have 2 of them Virtual Box (Free) or VMware Workstation (Paid, don't look at the free version, it suxx)
Also Windows 10 allow you run Linux as sub-system, but it is not a full Linux OS, just tools.

Also, if I reformat my disk, can I load one of the Linux distros onto it without first installing windows. Can anyone point me to where I can get started learning all this?
What you are describing is just installing an Operating System, the same way you install Windows or else, you just need to download an ISO of your selected Linux distribution, make it a bootable USB, plug it and start the procedure. we can't orient you until you choose which Linux OS to use.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

Thank you for your help.
divinenews,
aka Elijah Gale
I assume you already know that a lot of programs can't run on linux, right? For instance, Microsoft Office. If you need Word to function, it doesn't run on Linux. There are tons of other programs, too, that don't run on Linux.
For every problem, there is a workaround or an alternative, there are plenty of replacements for Microsoft Office, but it's not always easy and you don't always get the same features and convenience that you are used to.
It's like moving to a foreign city. You will need to learn your way around all over again.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Hello, I would like to know in your opinion which is the safest distro. Thank you very much in advance. Best regards.
I've been using Linux for about four years now (on a second PC). Any Linux is already safe by default. Two points are important: 1) be sure to install all system and program updates, and 2) turn on the firewall. You can use gufw (the graphical interface for ufw) for this, and that will be enough. And do not connect third-party repositories, and do not install unknown programs. And most importantly, do not run as root! :) If you have a second Windows system on your hard drive, you can install the free clamav antivirus on Linux and check your Windows. Or install a more powerful antivirus Eset for Linux or Dr. Web for Linux, but it will already be paid. If Windows, as a second system, is not, then an antivirus is not needed. In the browser, install a plug-in for web protection (and against phishing) and an ad blocker. This will be enough. So let's briefly summarize:
1) do not work as root;
2) do not install unknown programs and do not connect third-party repositories;
3) install all system updates and software updates;
4) enable the firewall
5) install the web protection plugin and ad blocker in the browser
6) if there is also Windows as a second system, install an antivirus (paid or free).
Any distribution, but I recommend to start with Ubuntu or Linux Mint.
This is more than enough for your Linux security. But if your goal is not just safety during everyday use, but real hardcore and a “tightly concreted fortress”, then I can throw you links to a detailed guide (in Russian, a translator to help) on how to make a real Fort Knox from Ubuntu: ) But there is not a setting for ordinary users, but for real paranoid :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.