Advice Request What is WireGuard?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
I shall have the big wallet in use the 1. October, I purchase IVPN+VYPRVPN+Renew my EkspressVPN subscription & buy Roon, these 4 software sets me back 2500 DKR, but I don't mind, I love it.

• Wow
Reactions: Nevi and Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I shall have the big wallet in use the 1. October, I purchase IVPN+VYPRVPN+Renew my EkspressVPN subscription & buy Roon, these 4 software sets me back 2500 DKR, but I don't mind, I love it.
No offence, but isn't it kinda stupid wasting your money on 3 different VPNs? I mean it's up to you but why aren't you just taking ExpressVPN which has the best rating on most testing sites. Other VPN's can't give you much more except slower speeds. If you wanna try other VPN's just test their trials. 😄

Reactions: Nevi

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
I have made up my mind: IVPN is very privacy-minded & have multihop & Wireshark Protocol, and I am eager to try VyprVPN, they should have very fast speeds+Charmelon & Nat Firewall+ they own and operate all their servers.

PS. Charmelon is a protocol witch should have the effect that For instance Netflix cant see it is a VPN.

Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I have made up my mind: IVPN is very privacy-minded & have multihop & Wireshark Protocol, and I am eager to try VyprVPN, they should have very fast speeds+Charmelon & Nat Firewall+ they own and operate all their servers.

PS. Charmelon is a protocol witch should have the effect that For instance Netflix cant see it is a VPN.
If you want all that then just stick with IVPN. It really hurts me to see you spending so much money on 3 different VPN's. As far as I know the Chameleon protocol isn't for unblocking Netflix, it's for people in China for example to bypass the restriction in that country. You can compare it to NoBorders in Surfshark if you already testet it. Every good VPN should be able to unblock Netflix and if it doesn't you should cancel it out of your list. Multihop also isn't really needed if you aren't trying to hack the FBI database. All multihop does for a regular user is slowing down the connection in my opinion. So if you ask me one VPN of your list is fully adequate. I personally used VyprVPN and I'm not impressed at all. It takes ages to connect and the speeds weren't fast either. IVPN has all you need, trust me. After all it's up to you, but thats just my honest opinion. :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

I have been using VyprVPN for some time now. They use many virtual IP and DNS servers.

Read here

Lies vs Statistics: VPN Virtual Server Locations | Restore Privacy

FYI, many times when I checked their DNS servers at whatsmydnsserver.com they tend to show 3rd-party servers like Amazon, Google etc even if you enable VyprVPN DNS servers instead of 3rd-party DNS servers.

I checked with them and they gave me a long explanantion. I believe they also use virtual DNS servers here.

One of the reasons in using a VPN is to change your IP address (and together with DNS would be the best). So, IMO, using virtual servers is a better thing if you want to accomplish that. Many would disagree in that the VPN and DNS servers must indicate the true changed addresses.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I have been using VyprVPN for some time now. They use many virtual IP and DNS servers.

Read here

Lies vs Statistics: VPN Virtual Server Locations | Restore Privacy

And many times when I checked their DNS servers at whatsmydnsserver.com they tend to show 3rd-party servers like Amazon, Google etc even if you enable VyprVPN DNS servers instead of 3rd-party DNS servers.

I checked with them and they gave me a long explanantion. I believe they also use virtual DNS servers here.
They have their own DNS server actually.

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
If you want all that then just stick with IVPN. It really hurts me to see you spending so much money on 3 different VPN's. As far as I know the Chameleon protocol isn't for unblocking Netflix, it's for people in China for example to bypass the restriction in that country. You can compare it to NoBorders in Surfshark if you already testet it. Every good VPN should be able to unblock Netflix and if it doesn't you should cancel it out of your list. Multihop also isn't really needed if you aren't trying to hack the FBI database. All multihop does for a regular user is slowing down the connection in my opinion. So if you ask me one VPN of your list is fully adequate. I personally used VyprVPN and I'm not impressed at all. It takes ages to connect and the speeds weren't fast either. IVPN has all you need, trust me. After all it's up to you, but thats just my honest opinion. :)
Thanks a lot, I thought VyprVPN was some kind of super VPN, with very high speeds, and the fact that they don't allow p2p, I mean then all those file sharers won't slow down their network, right?

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Thanks a lot, I thought VyprVPN was some kind of super VPN, with very high speeds, and the fact that they don't allow p2p, I mean then all those file sharers won't slow down their network, right?
I don't really know what you mean. First of all I wouldn't recommend it because of the fact that they don't allow p2p. That already shows that they still check what your doing online, and thats a no-go in my opinion. But I'm no professional after all so you shouldn't just listen to my opinion. And could you explain again what you mean by "file sharers slowing down their network?"

Reactions: Protomartyr

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hi, @SecureKongo , I just thought that since Tor don't want people who are torrenting, because it slows down their network, I thought it was the same in this case, excuse me, I am not the type making wild accusations.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I get why some people use a VPN but personally I feel the only need for myself to use one is if I'm using a wifi that is not on my network such as a hotel wifi. In my experience a VPN will slow down your internet, and break websites such as my email, Amazon, my bank etc. They inevitably ask for a confirmation. "Is this you?"

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Hi, @SecureKongo , I just thought that since Tor don't want people who are torrenting, because it slows down their network, I thought it was the same in this case, excuse me, I am not the type making wild accusations.
Hey, it's all good. I just didn't get by saying that their server will slow down cause of people torrenting. I'd say it's just like in a game. The more people are playing, the laggier and slower the servers are. But as I said when i last tested it (1 month ago) it was slow after all, even tho they don't allow p2p.

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hey, it's all good. I just didn't get by saying that their server will slow down cause of people torrenting. I'd say it's just like in a game. The more people are playing, the laggier and slower the servers are. But as I said when i last tested it (1 month ago) it was slow after all, even tho they don't allow p2p.
OK @SecureKongo then we are on the same page.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Hi again perhaps I choose Nord-VPN instead I dont know, time will tell.
Take your time with choosing and definitely use the trials. Keep in mind that the speeds can change very fast. Vypr was known for very good speeds, but in the latest tests I saw, their speeds were quite disappointing.

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Take your time with choosing and definitely use the trials. Keep in mind that the speeds can change very fast. Vypr was known for very good speeds, but in the latest tests I saw, their speeds were quite disappointing.
Thanks for lots of good advice.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
They have their own DNS server actually.
Yes. However, when you go into their app in android/Windows to select their DNS servers the app present you with 2 options

1) VyprVPN DNS servers
2) 3rd-party DNS servers which I assume have to be Amazon, Google etc

So even selecting option 1) and when checked at whatsmydnssserver.com many times it'll show Amazon, Google etc servers. I gather this that they are using virtual servers.

This doesn't happen with my ExpressVPN and NordVPN

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Yes. However, when you go into their app in android/Windows to select their DNS servers the app present you with 2 options

1) VyprVPN DNS servers
2) 3rd-party DNS servers which I assume have to be Amazon, Google etc

So even selecting option 1) and when checked at whatsmydnssserver.com many times it'll show Amazon, Google etc servers. I gather this that they are using virtual servers.

This doesn't happen with my ExpressVPN and NordVPN
They definitely colocate. I doubt they have their very own data centers lol

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I get why some people use a VPN but personally I feel the only need for myself to use one is if I'm using a wifi that is not on my network such as a hotel wifi. In my experience a VPN will slow down your internet, and break websites such as my email, Amazon, my bank etc. They inevitably ask for a confirmation. "Is this you?"
I am always connected to a VPN. In my case, there is little difference in speed between being connected and not connected. I have no issues accessing any websites other than streaming services, which may see that I'm using a VPN. I get basically the same internet experience, regardless of whether I'm using a VPN or not.

I have had issues in the past with speed and accessing certain websites (e.g. ones hosted in China), but I was able to resolve this by changing VPN providers and I've had to do this a few times.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.