Advice Request What is your favorite mobile brand ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What is your favorite mobile brand in 2020-2021 ?

• Apple (iPhone)

Votes: 32 39.5%
  • Samsung

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • Xiaomi + Redmi

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Huawei + Honor

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Lenovo

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Oppo + Realme

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Vivo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ZTE

• Alcatel

• LG

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
To be fair their devices are the most powerful ones and all other are a lot behind.
Also they support 5+ years every phone while most on android is 3 years with Google and other even get only 2 or even 1 years.

Apple also provide a nice replace for old devices which isn't possible with Android devices so this all ends in more friendly economy system.

And last but not least Apple is the only phone (and desktop) company who realy care about costumer security and privacy
Let me give you an example of a medium end Android smartphone vs the costly iPhone in terms of benchmarks and others..

• I can get a Realme X7 Pro that has an Antutu benchmark (CPU, GPU, Memory and Storage tests) rating of 521,799 score points at $340 whereas
I just get an iPhone 12 Pro that has an Antutu benchmark rating of 574,155 score points at $1615 at my country.

For 1/5 the price of an iPhone, I can get a phone with close enough performance. That's big. And remember I'm only comparing a medium end Android smartphone, not a high end one. Snapdragon 865 , 865+ and 888 processors provides even better performance for flagship high end Android smartphones like OnePlus 8 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S20, Huawei Mate 40 Pro, Oppo Find X2 Pro all giving you 600K+ score points.

• iPhone 12 Pro has only a standard refresh rate of 60Hz, whereas Realme X7 Pro provides 120Hz refresh rate, and this can be seen while playing games and scrolling to compare fluidity.

• iPhone 12 Pro charges to 0-59% in 30 min with its 20W charger, Realme X7 Pro charges from 0-100% in 33 minutes with its' 65W superdart charger.

In 3 years time the specifications will have changed so much that any phone gets outdated by a mile. It's time that general public started looking into benchmarks and performance comparison rather than marketing efforts. iPhone users are loyal to the brand that's what I've seen for years, nothing wrong with that, their marketing really did pay off. This TED talk might give someone a better insight in how they were able to do that - Simon Senek - How great leaders inspire action. Also iPhone is much cheaper in US, so it does make sense for them to buy the device.

By the way, I root my Android phones after warranty period, to gain full control of my device, not a great security practice for general folk, but I know what I'm doing and also it gives me even better performance and battery life.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
All these stats and benchmark scores are over-rated/hyped for the smartphones. The marketing is geared towards 99% of the population and real-world usage varies between different manufacturer components, when compared the stats sheets you are obsessing over.

ASUS offer gaming phone if you want "performance", get that extra 10 score points and active cooling adapter for peak frame rates.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Centralized tests are done for a reason, for someone to make a wise decision not to go about and buy every smartphone to understand real world usage. This is done after hundreds of similar test cases and is not an isolated scenario. The benchmarks are for physical devices that will remain the same, no matter where you buy it from. Unlike antivirus tests, here testing is not done on software across different hardware. Here, the software and hardware are the same. Sadly, ability to perform well in Gaming is not what is meant by performance.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Realme X7 Pro, OnePlus 8 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S20, Huawei Mate 40 Pro, Oppo Find X2 Pro
None of them are designed for security nor privacy like iPhones or Pixel's.

By the way, I root my Android phones after warranty period, to gain full control of my device, not a great security practice for general folk, but I know what I'm doing and also it gives me even better performance and battery life.
This doesn't make sense it only destroy the whole Android Security model. Read:
Android | Madaidan's Insecurities (madaidans-insecurities.github.io)

Here also a benchmark comparision which display other results then yours:
1609005508717.pngGFXBench - unified graphics benchmark based on DXBenchmark (DirectX) and GLBenchmark (OpenGL ES)

Last edited by a moderator:

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
This doesn't make sense it only destroy the whole Android Security model. Read:
Android | Madaidan's Insecurities (madaidans-insecurities.github.io)

Here also a benchmark comparision which display other results then yours:
View attachment 251928GFXBench - unified graphics benchmark based on DXBenchmark (DirectX) and GLBenchmark (OpenGL ES)

Not sure why would someone do a gaming benchmark test with screen off. It doesn't seem to make much sense. Here we only have a GPU test to show how a game performs in frames per second when the screen is off which is really not about performance as a whole as it takes just one component.

When I mentioned, I do understand what I do with root, is that I only white-list those apps that require root access. And 99.5% of apps does not require super user privileges on Android. It's like turning off antivirus protection and installing pirated/cracked games. Why would someone do that?

I have a bloatware free Android phone or at-least used to have. Not sure what constitutes spyware, does collecting information about you using any of Google services equate to spyware. If so, I'm okay with that.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

When I mentioned, I do understand what I do with root, is that I only white-list those apps that require root. And 99.5% of apps does not require super user privileges on Android. It's like turning off antivirus protection and installing pirated/cracked games. Why would someone do that?
This isn't how ROOT on Android works. Please read my link and the danger you have with ROOT.
Anyway that's not the topic here so i'm out.

Reactions: Cortex and Nevi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If Apple has micro sd card feature and a bigger battery then I will ditch Samsung right the way
Never going to happen. More ports, higher costs, more problems*. Apple has pushed it's subscription services and cloud storage options this year.

*IPX8 requirements would mean all ports need to be sealed against water.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
In 2015 and 2017 , I asked this Question : What is your favorite mobile brand ?

Today, I want to know what is your answer in 2020-2021? Why ?
Even, if I been using a Huawei phone for a few years, and still today is very satisfied with almost all it's features etc. I must say I have high hopes for a change 2021 and just hope they will release something new and good enough. Nokia.

I always tend or try to support companies that's more close/near.

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
Let me give you an example of a medium end Android smartphone vs the costly iPhone in terms of benchmarks and others..

• I can get a Realme X7 Pro that has an Antutu benchmark (CPU, GPU, Memory and Storage tests) rating of 521,799 score points at $340 whereas
I just get an iPhone 12 Pro that has an Antutu benchmark rating of 574,155 score points at $1615 at my country.

For 1/5 the price of an iPhone, I can get a phone with close enough performance. That's big. And remember I'm only comparing a medium end Android smartphone, not a high end one. Snapdragon 865 , 865+ and 888 processors provides even better performance for flagship high end Android smartphones like OnePlus 8 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S20, Huawei Mate 40 Pro, Oppo Find X2 Pro all giving you 600K+ score points.

• iPhone 12 Pro has only a standard refresh rate of 60Hz, whereas Realme X7 Pro provides 120Hz refresh rate, and this can be seen while playing games and scrolling to compare fluidity.

• iPhone 12 Pro charges to 0-59% in 30 min with its 20W charger, Realme X7 Pro charges from 0-100% in 33 minutes with its' 65W superdart charger.

In 3 years time the specifications will have changed so much that any phone gets outdated by a mile. It's time that general public started looking into benchmarks and performance comparison rather than marketing efforts. iPhone users are loyal to the brand that's what I've seen for years, nothing wrong with that, their marketing really did pay off. This TED talk might give someone a better insight in how they were able to do that - Simon Senek - How great leaders inspire action. Also iPhone is much cheaper in US, so it does make sense for them to buy the device.

I agree with your remarks but what use is it to have a phone that charges faster when it holds battery for a day and you plug it in before going to sleep? What use is a 120hz screen when a lot of people don't use their phones for gaming, I agree it looks nice while scrolling but it's just not a deal breaker. Apple has some things that are useful such as resell price is always better than android phones and that cuts cost back. Also people can still use an iPhone 7 from 2016, get the latest security updates and most of the latest features (albeit not many new ones), but the phone still does its job. I know people usually use a phone for 2 years and get a new one, but it is good to know that you have the option to keep it for longer and still have a up to date, no annoyance phone. Also, google is letting a lot of junk apps on the play store, while the app store is more focused on providing more quality apps for its users.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I have an iPhone. Everybody in my family has an iPhone. I used to have Android phones. I like FaceTime, Messages and the 5-year support. But the main reason is family: to be able to interact easily with them.
With friends and other people, I mostly use mails or Zoom. But with my close family, it's Messages and FaceTime.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Just bought my other half an iPhone 11 (not latest) for just over £400 UKP - Brand new with warranty, the OS is the same as she is used to (she had a 7+ she sold) & it performs nicely - I agree the latest 12's are expensive but get the generation before you miss out on little & still get the most secure phone there is - She don't do games but some photo's & links to maps, Spotify etc on her car, suits her perfectly rather than for her learning almost a new OS with each new Android? She aint no teenager, but my youngest daughter can learn a new phone almost in seconds as if her & the phone are one?

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Ah Apple, well i had many Samsung galaxy (old smartphone) good times indeed! after a few years i had decided to chose a used iPhone 6 back in 2015 because my childhood friend told me when you buy a iPhone you will never go back to any other phone i was like *haha okay i will see* he was right its optimized, smooth, etc what commenters said here as same, on July 2020 i bought an new iPhone SE 2020 because iPhone 6 is outdated and lag sometimes due to the battery i dont want to replace it with the new battery. Apple stopped supporting iPhone 6 its been 6 years i cant believe it! i mean they can support the iPhone 6 but only the security & fixes updates what a amazing that's why its worth it and too pricey obviously

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.