1. Web App (using Browser)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I use Catsxp which is based on Brave.
had never heard of Catsxp so went to take a look and Checkpoint Harmony said "can't touch this"
1710559982248.png

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
had never heard of Catsxp so went to take a look and Checkpoint Harmony said "can't touch this"
They seem to have an issue with the certificate, the date is valid, but still, they messed up and if they can not get basics right, it is saying something. There are certificates that work for free ffs.

capture_03162024_171617.jpgcapture_03162024_171718.jpg

Synthya

Mar 16, 2024
I have been using & recommending WaterFox for years; I also appreciate that it isn't based in the USA, & thus, not (or less) subject to its jurisdiction, or requests/demands for its users private data.

Moreover, it follows the much more stringent GDPR privacy laws, which those products based in the USA & the other “Five Eyes” countries do not.

I also like that it is open-sourced, & independent — although FireFox is the same in that regard, FireFox is based in the USA, & thus, subject to such things like the “Patriot Act”, the NSA “PRISM” & similar programs.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have been using & recommending WaterFox for years; I also appreciate that it isn't based in the USA, & thus, not (or less) subject to its jurisdiction, or requests/demands for its users private data.

Moreover, it follows the much more stringent GDPR privacy laws, which those products based in the USA & the other “Five Eyes” countries do not.
I am aware of Waterfox, but have not looked at it in at least 5 years (or more...) I wonder how it compares to Librewolf. The Waterfox website says "Made in London, UK" -- UK is Five Eyes, so if it's not made in London, where is it "made" -- otherwise I do not understand your 2d point above. :unsure:

Synthya

Mar 16, 2024
I am aware of Waterfox, but have not looked at it in at least 5 years (or more...) I wonder how it compares to Librewolf. The Waterfox website says "Made in London, UK" -- UK is Five Eyes, so if it's not made in London, where is it "made" -- otherwise I do not understand your 2d point above. :unsure:
While I recognize that WaterFox is London, UK based, & that the UK left the EU via “BrExit”, all EU countries adhere to the GDPR.

It can be argued that the GDPR does apply to WaterFox to an extent under a “grandfather clause”.

To the extent that users of WaterFox are (more) protected vs users of FireFox (a USA-based browser) under the GDPR is subject to debate, I think that any question which might arise would tend to add another layer of complexity & argument in any case where the USA gov't might bring during any attempt to apply jurisdictional arguments in support as a basis for demanding the release of users' data.

With FireFox being based in the USA, no such jurisdictional limitations apply, & that goes the same for any other web browser, or search engine — which is why I also use StartPage as a search engine, based in the Netherlands.

Doing searches to try to determine just where each “privacy-focused” browser is based has, so far for me, yielded no such list.

So far, it appears that I'll have to explore each & every one individually, to determine which are & do adhere to the GDPR & which don't, based on each one's based or hosted country.

If I might appear to be overly-fixated on the topic of privacy, my late stepfather worked in the NSA, & rather high-level, a GS-33.

While being prohibited from disclosing to me the extent & details due to OPSEC & other confidentiality obligations, he did describe to me — within those limits — the extent of NSA's ability to access & monitor users' data.

There are numerous references to those activities, & specifically, such as Edward Snowden's WikiLeaks files.

I'm always open to other alternatives in web browsers, & prioritize my interest in alternatives which adhere to the GDPR privacy standards, which are much stricter than any in the USA — contrary to popular belief, the USA gov't has largely invalidated any “Fourth Amendment” protections when it comes to individual privacy & “unreasonable searches”.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
While I recognize that WaterFox is London, UK based, ...[snip]
I'm always open to other alternatives in web browsers, & prioritize my interest in alternatives which adhere to the GDPR privacy standards, which are much stricter than any in the USA — contrary to popular belief, the USA gov't has largely invalidated any “Fourth Amendment” protections when it comes to individual privacy & “unreasonable searches”.
well said, thanks! :D quick "research" last night convincing me to stay with Librewolf at least for time being

Reactions: Nevi

Synthya

Mar 16, 2024
well said, thanks! :D quick "research" last night convincing me to stay with Librewolf at least for time being
As I continue my research, impeded by those pesky “activities of daily living” such as work (employment that results in funding income), & domestic, vehicle & property maintenance, food shopping & prep, bathing, clothes washing, etc. I'll let you know what I find.

I'll say that I try to focus on unbiased 3rd-party & most importantly, recognized industry standard, reviews.

If my posting follow-ups is better continued elsewhere, in a new or under an existing topic or thread, I'll be pleased to follow that advice (me being “new” here).

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
As I continue my research, impeded by those pesky “activities of daily living” such as work (employment that results in funding income), & domestic, vehicle & property maintenance, food shopping & prep, bathing, clothes washing, etc. I'll let you know what I find.

I'll say that I try to focus on unbiased 3rd-party & most importantly, recognized industry standard, reviews.

If my posting follow-ups is better continued elsewhere, in a new or under an existing topic or thread, I'll be pleased to follow that advice (me being “new” here).
post where you think it should go, moderators sometimes move posts or threads to a better location. thanks.
I suppose to some degree I question whether Librewolf is up to "industry standard" but not so much so as I see it reviewed in various places (& open source). Someboby here (@silversurfer eg) will let us know if & when it goes bad

Reactions: Nevi and Synthya

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.